Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

So, this weekend I will be doing some work on my rusty bolt-on keel.

I want to seal the keel-hull joint with the West Systems GFlex-650 which is a flexible epoxy, so it should last a few seasons without cracking.

My priority is to keep the joint water-tight, but it would be nice to have something that is easily sandable. My understanding is the low density stuff is easily sandable, but do I give up the waterproofing for that?

My question is which West Systems filler should I use to thicken the epoxy?
hildamman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

I found this manual by west systems, on page 55 for Keel hull joint, they don't mention any filler - just GFlex, so unless someone has a better idea, that is what I am going to go with.
hildamman is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2019
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

I'll be curious to know how your repair went and how it holds over the seasons.

The previous owner used something like 3m 4200 and faired it smooth. The boat was out of the water when I bought her, so I ground down to raw glass/lead over a 8" width around the entire keel stub/keel.

Any areas that had a joint I filled with 3M 4200 to fill the gap then tightened the bolts.

From there I used 6oz cloth and did 6-8 layers around the entire keel join(8" wide tape) and then faired it smooth with 407. I used interlux 2000e for the barrier coat. So far i haven't had an issue(repair performed in August of 2018). I'm curious to see how the repair holds up over the years, but I will say if I make it to a place such as Mexico, I'll likely redo the entire repair using a biaxal after dropping the keel, checking the keel bolts and rebedding the keel back to the keel stub.
chowdan is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2019
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 19,046
Thanks: 82
Thanked 534 Times in 511 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

What kind of keel joint are you fairing, a straight joint from a stub to the keel or a 90 degree joint from the keel directly to the hull? I have the latter and just fair the joint with a generous dose of 4200. Easily replaced every few years, as necessary.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2019
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What kind of keel joint are you fairing, a straight joint from a stub to the keel or a 90 degree joint from the keel directly to the hull? I have the latter and just fair the joint with a generous dose of 4200. Easily replaced every few years, as necessary.
Very good point. This would definitely change ones approach to a repair!

Saw a keel like that for the first time in a yard in Canada last weekend. Very interesting design I must say!
chowdan is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-27-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What kind of keel joint are you fairing, a straight joint from a stub to the keel or a 90 degree joint from the keel directly to the hull? I have the latter and just fair the joint with a generous dose of 4200. Easily replaced every few years, as necessary.
It is a vanilla straight joint. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4562.JPG   IMG_4514.JPG   IMG_4510.JPG  
hildamman is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-27-2019 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 14
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I'll be curious to know how your repair went and how it holds over the seasons.

The previous owner used something like 3m 4200 and faired it smooth. The boat was out of the water when I bought her, so I ground down to raw glass/lead over a 8" width around the entire keel stub/keel.

Any areas that had a joint I filled with 3M 4200 to fill the gap then tightened the bolts.

From there I used 6oz cloth and did 6-8 layers around the entire keel join(8" wide tape) and then faired it smooth with 407. I used interlux 2000e for the barrier coat. So far i haven't had an issue(repair performed in August of 2018). I'm curious to see how the repair holds up over the years, but I will say if I make it to a place such as Mexico, I'll likely redo the entire repair using a biaxal after dropping the keel, checking the keel bolts and rebedding the keel back to the keel stub.
I will keep you updated. This grinding business is nasty s**t and taking longer than I expected. My current plan for the keel-joint is:
  • Grind out 1/8 of an inch of the current sikaflex sealant (deeper if I see deeper rust stains)
  • Grind out rust on top of the keel until I hit clean metal
  • POR-15 degreaser, etch/rust convert and then 4 layers of POR-15 for the entire keel (including the top of the keel)
  • Lightly sand the POR-15
  • Fill the joint with GFLEX
  • Cover the keel-hull joint with 2 inch fibreglass tape soaked with Gflex
  • Brush on more gflex over the fbreglass tape.
  • 4-6 Coats of Interlux 2000
  • Fare & sand and irregularities with Quick Fare.
  • 2 more layers of Interlux 2000.
  • Bottom-paint

My plan for the whole keel in general is
  • Get the Rust off
  • POR-15 degreaser, etch/rust convert and then 4 layers of POR-15
  • Lightly Sand the POR 15
  • 4-6 coats of Interlux 2000
  • Fare the keel with Quck Fair
  • 2 Coats of Interlux 2000 over that.
  • Bottom Paint.

Hope this makes sense. I will keep you updated on my progress and how this works out over the years. BTW, I am using the general guidelines by this gentlemen, which seems to have held up for 10 years.
hildamman is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-03-2019
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Best GFlex-650 Filler for Keel Joint Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildamman View Post
I will keep you updated. This grinding business is nasty s**t and taking longer than I expected. My current plan for the keel-joint is:
  • Grind out 1/8 of an inch of the current sikaflex sealant (deeper if I see deeper rust stains)
  • Grind out rust on top of the keel until I hit clean metal
  • POR-15 degreaser, etch/rust convert and then 4 layers of POR-15 for the entire keel (including the top of the keel)
  • Lightly sand the POR-15
  • Fill the joint with GFLEX
  • Cover the keel-hull joint with 2 inch fibreglass tape soaked with Gflex
  • Brush on more gflex over the fbreglass tape.
  • 4-6 Coats of Interlux 2000
  • Fare & sand and irregularities with Quick Fare.
  • 2 more layers of Interlux 2000.
  • Bottom-paint

My plan for the whole keel in general is
  • Get the Rust off
  • POR-15 degreaser, etch/rust convert and then 4 layers of POR-15
  • Lightly Sand the POR 15
  • 4-6 coats of Interlux 2000
  • Fare the keel with Quck Fair
  • 2 Coats of Interlux 2000 over that.
  • Bottom Paint.

Hope this makes sense. I will keep you updated on my progress and how this works out over the years. BTW, I am using the general guidelines by this gentlemen, which seems to have held up for 10 years.
Good luck! I do agree the grinding part is the absolute worst. I dont mind working with glass at all surprisingly.

One thing I will advise during the fairing part. When you think you get her as smooth as possible, slap your first coat of interlux 2000 on it, then take a look to see if you actually are smooth. If not, let the first coat tack up and slap your final fairing compound on.

This was recommended to me by a professional glass worker - after I had ran out of time and needed to finish up the project. In turn, my keel is not as fair as it should be, and it was incredibly obvious when I put my first coat of interlux on.
chowdan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West System Gflex Bruce3966 General Discussion (sailing related) 1 07-07-2015 09:22 AM
Sealing the stub / keel joint (the smile) WoobaGooba Gear & Maintenance 2 04-14-2014 07:38 PM
Questions about barrier coat on steel keel, and sealing keel joint EricinToronto Gear & Maintenance 1 04-21-2012 09:43 PM
removing cap rail and sealing deck-hull joint tflak Gear & Maintenance 3 05-09-2010 01:44 PM
Sealing the hull and deck joint SSBN506 Gear & Maintenance 3 03-16-2009 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome