Double clamp your hoses.... - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

Re: Double clamp your hoses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
I'm curious - how many people DON'T close every through-hull before leaving the boat at the end of the day?
I close them if I am leaving the boat for a few days. One of the nice things about having converted to Electric Propulsion I was able to permanently shut the engine raw water intake through hull which was in the most hard to reach location and one that would could cause the most damage if I forgot to open it when back on board.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

I know every bareboat I've ever been aboard, leaves them open perpetually.

While I close them, when away for days, I'm not as diligent, when actively cruising. If I'm just going to shore for an hour or two, I often do not close them. I really should.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

I talked an american guy living in the bahamas who had a 40 something pearson he kept anchored within view of his bluff top home for 12 years.
One morning it wasnt there.
Yep...hose came loose. Sunk
His comnent to me: everything had been fine before then....

post #24 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

On my old boat we kept the head through hulls closed when the boat was not in use, but we left the engine water intake open mainly because access was a real pain...it required emptying a locker and climbing down inside and contorting oneself in unnatural positions! I did visual inspections regularly, and satisfied myself that the hose was not going to fall off.

I honestly don't know how even a single clamped hose can just "fall off" a barbed fitting. Every time I WANT to remove such a hose it is a fight to get it off, and often times I end up having to slit the hose to get it off.

Whenever I hear about a boat sinking because a hose came off a thru-hull, I am suspicious; either the hose was completely the wrong size for the fitting, or it had some "help" falling off for insurance purposes. To me the most likely legit failure would be that the hose was old and cracked and it broke off leaving the clamped piece attached to the fitting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
PeterVV likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #25 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

It depends on the hose material. Not all materials form onto the barb under compression. Of course, it would still take some pressure or vibration to get the hose off, but both occur beneath the water line on a boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

Speaking of hoses...

Almost all my water hoses are reinforced clear plastic... They DO become brittle with age. All of my engine hoses including raw water, fuel are reinforced Sheilds which don't seem to get as hard as PVC. The Shields seem to be higher quality.

What hoses does your boat have for the water system?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #27 of 32 Old 03-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Speaking of hoses...

Almost all my water hoses are reinforced clear plastic... They DO become brittle with age. All of my engine hoses including raw water, fuel are reinforced Sheilds which don't seem to get as hard as PVC. The Shields seem to be higher quality.

What hoses does your boat have for the water system?
If you mean the fresh water system, my boat has what looks like PEX pipe, (high density polyurethane), and all the connections are some kind of plastic Sharkbite-like fittings and quick couplers. There is nothing to corrode, and PEX is very tolerant of high and low temperatures. So far it all looks pretty nicely done.

SanderO and Minnesail like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #28 of 32 Old 03-22-2019

Most of our freshwater system is PEX as well. The translucent hoses are typically on raw water head intakes and the stuff the OEM used does form to the barbs. I've replaced a couple, with a hose that doesn't. It looks darker and the reinforcement looks like a solid plastic ribbon, rather than the string-like thread. I have no recollection of brand or exact model of the upgraded hose. The engines and air conditioners use reinforced black rubber hoses, which do not form to the barb. The waste lines are the worst, they clearly form to the barbs. All these hoses come off easily, if you heat them.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #29 of 32 Old 03-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
If you mean the fresh water system, my boat has what looks like PEX pipe, (high density polyurethane), and all the connections are some kind of plastic Sharkbite-like fittings and quick couplers. There is nothing to corrode, and PEX is very tolerant of high and low temperatures. So far it all looks pretty nicely done.

Hmmm, that's a little frustrating.

While the system looks fine, and better done than most boats I encounter, the use of different connection systems, has resulted in more potential leak failure points.

If we look at the bottom of the accumulator tank, it goes from some kind of PEX to the sharkbite "T", to some kind of adapter, to PEX. It could have been just PEX to a PEX "T" to PEX. Slightly higher CV in the internal PEX "T" vs eternal Sharkbite "T" but nothing to worry about in the grand scheme. Slightly less flow at the faucet vs risk of chasing down a leak. Most would prefer not to blast potable water down the drain anyway (unless they have a water maker and then no biggy).
post #30 of 32 Old 03-23-2019

I am not sure I understand the benefits of PEX. It looks a neater and the risk of cutting your hands on hose clamps is removed and maybe rusting stuck hose clamps. If one services and maintains the clamps... and hose this should be no problem. I have assorted mfg hose clamps and that is a pain in the ass. Probably should buy a few scores of the main sizes and replace them all and inspect and replace hose as need be... need yards of hose too. Not a high priority project.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in