Double clamp your hoses.... - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 Old 03-23-2019

Re: Double clamp your hoses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsurgeon View Post
Hmmm, that's a little frustrating.

While the system looks fine, and better done than most boats I encounter, the use of different connection systems, has resulted in more potential leak failure points.

If we look at the bottom of the accumulator tank, it goes from some kind of PEX to the sharkbite "T", to some kind of adapter, to PEX. It could have been just PEX to a PEX "T" to PEX. Slightly higher CV in the internal PEX "T" vs eternal Sharkbite "T" but nothing to worry about in the grand scheme. Slightly less flow at the faucet vs risk of chasing down a leak. Most would prefer not to blast potable water down the drain anyway (unless they have a water maker and then no biggy).
I havent had a chance to really get to know the water system on this boat, but so far most connections seem to be shark bite. The clamp under the accumulator is the only one I have seen so far.

I have no problem with sharkbite connections. They can hold much higher pressures than anything you will see on a boat. They are a lot easier than fiddling around with dozens of hose clamps!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 03-23-2019

Re: Double clamp your hoses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I am not sure I understand the benefits of PEX. It looks a neater and the risk of cutting your hands on hose clamps is removed and maybe rusting stuck hose clamps. If one services and maintains the clamps... and hose this should be no problem. I have assorted mfg hose clamps and that is a pain in the ass. Probably should buy a few scores of the main sizes and replace them all and inspect and replace hose as need be... need yards of hose too. Not a high priority project.
Well, PEX is very durable, easy to work with, corrosion resistant, and low cost (especially compared to "marine grade" hose and plumbing fittings, which don't provide any additional benefit. "Push-on" (e.g. Sharkbite brand of residential, or Whale brand of marine) fittings are very fast and removable / reusable and lower CV (resistance) but more expensive than "clamp on" fittings.

ABYC doesn't really specify "marine grade" pressure water pipe, tubing, or fittings.

I typically go with what the boat already has. If it doesn't matter, I generally recommend residential PEX.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in