Defender 2019 Warehouse Sale - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

Re: Defender 2019 Warehouse Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Call Customer Service and have them hold your order until you will be back. I plan to do that.

Or get a neighbor to take it in for you.
That might be a possibility though things don't always get communicated to the shipping department at Defender. Guess how I know? Meanwhile my neighbor is currently undergoing chemo and I really don't want to burden her. She has enough to deal with.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

Well so much for that. The only thing I really needed from Defender was a new pick up stick for the mooring. So I went online to order it and put it in the cart and then I noticed this red lettering that said because of its tall size UPS or Federal Express had a $60 surcharge for shipping. So the four bucks I'll save on it during with the Defender sale makes it kind of moot. Looks like I’ll just pick one up at my local West Marine instead.

Mike

post #13 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
It's so much more fun to be there in all the crowd live..........going Friday
Is it really worth going in person? Do the prices make up for the CT sales tax?

post #14 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

I've only gone in person once, maybe 14 years ago, and it was definitely worth the 2.5 hr drive since I was still relatively new to boat stuff (albeit deep into a restoration project), and it helped to be able to compare similar items in person and take my own measurements. There was also a huge area of clearance stuff, some of which I don't think was even on their site. If you're buying a dinghy or motor, it's a must to go in person and check out the entire showroom devoted to them.
If you just need a few things and know exactly what you want, and don't live nearby, then I wouldn't bother.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

What's going on with the famous Defender sale?

The good Sailnetters (well, some of them) have convinced me that I am in the market for a PLB (see this thread: https://www.sailnet.com/index.php?page=active_topics ). Well, so I went to Defender.com and found this:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...730&id=5533706

Turns out that the regular price at the GPS is identical And they ship free, to boot, by FeDEx:
https://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-ResQ...con-P5927.aspx

Am I missing something? If not, I am not impressed with this sale that everybody is jumping up and down about!
post #16 of 23 Old 03-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I am not impressed with this sale that everybody is jumping up and down about!
Agreed, for some reason this year (can't remember last year) I'm not seeing a lot of amazing deals. 10%, okay, but after shipping, not impressive. In years past there were some really deep discounts. Maybe they're not as overstocked and eager to get rid of inventory?

Meanwhile, WM is trying to compete with the "spring prep" sale this week, and given the Defender lacklusterness, it's working. Just saw their BOGO winches deal is back on, perfect timing for me!
post #17 of 23 Old 03-29-2019
HANUMAN

I was there today. Madhouse in the morning. Went back in the late afternoon and it was civil but still very busy, no wait to checkout. My credit card spontaneously combusted at the register, eyebrows singed, went home and got drunk, ordered more stuff online.
MarkofSeaLife and flyrod like this.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaking View Post
Agreed, for some reason this year (can't remember last year) I'm not seeing a lot of amazing deals. 10%, okay, but after shipping, not impressive. In years past there were some really deep discounts. Maybe they're not as overstocked and eager to get rid of inventory?

Meanwhile, WM is trying to compete with the "spring prep" sale this week, and given the Defender lacklusterness, it's working. Just saw their BOGO winches deal is back on, perfect timing for me!
Well, it is not even even 10%, Defender is actually more expensive after shipping.

And West Marine handily beats Defender too, AT THEIR REGULAR PRICES: You get the PLB, plus a drybag, plus a MOB flashing light, plus some other goodies, for the same price: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-e...15?recordNum=1

(it is a different PLB model, also from ACR, but I don't know if one is better than the other; both seem to have essentially the same functionality)

I have been a Defender customer for over 15 years, but this is disappointing
post #19 of 23 Old 03-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
What's going on with the famous Defender sale?

The good Sailnetters (well, some of them) have convinced me that I am in the market for a PLB (see this thread: https://www.sailnet.com/index.php?page=active_topics ). Well, so I went to Defender.com and found this:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...730&id=5533706

Turns out that the regular price at the GPS is identical And they ship free, to boot, by FeDEx:
https://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-ResQ...con-P5927.aspx

Am I missing something? If not, I am not impressed with this sale that everybody is jumping up and down about!

I found the same thing when I bought a new VHF radio last year.

Mike

post #20 of 23 Old 03-29-2019

For several years Defender was my go-to for most items to the point where I hardly bothered even shopping around. But within the last couple of years I too have noticed their pricing becoming less competitive. I still buy from Defender, but have been spreading my boat dollars around to other vendors - even West Marine. At this point Defender is probably not even 25% of my annual spend when they used to be 80% or more.

Compounding the problem is that in a world where most vendors have gone to free shipping on a $25-100 minimum spend, Defender basically never offers any shipping concessions, and that can be a real deal killer on bulky items. I know "free" shipping isn't really free and I appreciate that Defender isn't subsidizing "free" shipping by jacking up prices across the board, but when making apples to apples comparisons to other vendors for the same item, people are usually going to buy on lowest total cost.

This year my warehouse sale purchases will just be some cleaning products, some hose clamps, a propane hose, and a few other miscellaneous small items. A pretty small haul compared to years past.

I will add that I don't ever remember Defender having the lowest prices on electronics - it was always all the other stuff that was cheaper. The GPS Store, Hodges Marine, and even West Marine (when items are on sale) have long been my sources for electronics.
PeterVV likes this.

s/v Spindrift
Beneteau Oceanis 400
formerly Lippincott 30

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in