8Likes
  • 2 Post By capta
  • 2 Post By MikeOReilly
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 3 Post By colemj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

White Antifouling

I bought our boat last year and it will go back to the water this month. The boat is antifouled with white International Longlife. I actually wanted to give the boat a new black antifoul, but the Admiral decided to stay with the white hard antifoul. Before watering around easter I wanted to touch up some spots as the old antifoul is still OK.
As Longlife has been discontinued, my chandeler recommended Ultra 2 in Dover White. Which I purchased for approx. 300$ (4l). When I stirred the antifoul, I noticed the colour is light brown. Somebody in the club told me this is normal, it will change when in the water.
This means, if I just paint some spots, the boat will look really crappy on the trailer. Problems with the Admiral !
Any ideas on that problem or recommendations (other than repaint the whole hull) ? Are there white alternatives which come in white and stay white and are compatible to Longlife ?

-Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2019

Re: White Antifouling

Just painting some spots is rarely the right way to manage anti-foul, regardless. If you have some wear through, other spots you don't touch are inevitably going to wear through shortly. If you have peeling, same likely issue.

Sounds like a full job is in order. Sorry, I suspect that's not what you wanted to hear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2019

My advice.... not worth anything... is to skip the multi coat ablatives... use a harder paint and pay a diver to ablate your paint ;-)... you can frequent inspections as well. Ablative paints only ablate if the boat is moving and they are not fouled with slime. I predict they will leave the market for a number of reasons.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2019
Master Mariner

Go with your original black and just paint a foot or so around the waterline white. That way she will see the white at the dock, but the only way she'll see it out sailing is if she, uh, "falls" over the side. lol
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2019
Old soul

Funny… we ran out of black CSC and could only get white. So we painted the last 1/4 of the keel and rudder with white, while the rest of the hull was black. And then the following year we patched the white with with black. Our boat now looks rather zebra-like down below.

My view: who cares? It’s all the same stuff.

If it ever did became observable, well, lets just say we’d be having far greater problems than offending someone’s sense of aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2950.jpg  
SanderO and capta like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2019
Master Mariner

You know, I love my sailing partner as much as the next guy, and possibly more, but unless you are keeping your boat out of the water at all times except when sailing, I should think a white bottom, like a white carpet, would show every bit of growth or dirt on the hull.
Every white bottom boat I know is hauled and waxed just before each race. Is that what your admiral has planned for you this summer?
MikeOReilly likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 03-30-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
You know, I love my sailing partner as much as the next guy, and possibly more, but unless you are keeping your boat out of the water at all times when sailing, I should think a white bottom, like a white carpet, would show every bit of growth or dirt on the hull.
Every white bottom boat I know is hauled and waxed just before each race. Is that what your admiral has planned for you this summer?
So true! Our white rudder now loudly shows off all the slime and soft growth. With the black I could hardly see it, so I could more easily ignore it .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Generally I change color every year but I do use ablative. That way I can track the ablation and know when it's time for a bottom job.

Also when rolling on the liquid gold it is easy to see if missed a bit if it is a different color.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2019

Dock

I now use black and ifs wonderful. Less light means less growth.

I will never have a blue butt again!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #10 of 10 Old 03-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
My advice.... not worth anything... is to skip the multi coat ablatives... use a harder paint and pay a diver to ablate your paint ;-)... you can frequent inspections as well. Ablative paints only ablate if the boat is moving and they are not fouled with slime. I predict they will leave the market for a number of reasons.
Hard paint doesn't come off even with aggressive scraping by a diver. It does build up over time - more than people might realize. We blasted 10yrs of hard paint off our boat and lost 400lbs and started using ablative paint. Now, the ablative is mostly gone by the time it needs repainting every 2-3yrs, and for what it is left, we just tell the powerwasher guy to go to town on it and it quickly disappears.

I don't think ablatives are going anywhere soon - they are the most popular type of paint, and large ships use them.

You may be thinking about the old type of ablative, which is like talcum soft (I think they actually added talcum to the paint). The newer ablatives - the past decade or so - are chemically controlled release types, which actually dissolve in the water slowly over time. So even standing still, they are slowly ablating.

Paint weight is insidious and creeps up on you. For example, Trinidad SR - one of the more popular hard paints - weighs 25lbs/gal and is 85% solids by weight. So each gallon adds 21lbs to the boat. This means we add 100lbs each time we paint - and that weight never comes off!

After removing 400lbs of bottom paint once, if we had stuck with hard paint again, we would now be 500lbs heavier. For us, that is 1/2" of waterline - which means we would have to use more paint to raise the waterline, which would sink us further over time. It would be spiraling down a rabbit hole and eventually lead again to an expensive bottom blast job.

I'm all for ablative!

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in