Ripped off ? or a fair profit ? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 03-31-2019
Dirt Free

Re: Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Here is an example. One can buy the "big-name marine manufacturer" blower: https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-PERFOR...gateway&sr=8-3

Or one can buy the identical item from a "no-name manufacturer": https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-PERFOR...gateway&sr=8-3

I own one of each of these, and both are in operation, and I can tell you that there is not a lick of difference between the two except for the thin sticker around the middle.

I suspect that all "manufacturers" are not actually making these, but getting their supply from the same builder.

Mark
The only difference is the big guy spends a lot more money on advertising in all the glossy marine mags.

I just went through this comparison on three new bilge pumps. I spent $150 on the no name brand rathers than $360 on the name brand ..... I could not tell the difference.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

Those are fair points, however I would guess that most items the Chandler stocks are purchased at wholesale prices. In my experience with wholesalers the discounts you get for buying larger quantities are incremental. 10-20% at the most. That doesnt explain the 500% markup. In my business when we resell parts to the end user the most markup we have is 100%, and that is only on smaller items, under $100. Bigger ticket items are only marked up 20-40%.

I want to support the brick and mortar stores, but they need to at least TRY to be competitive.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
oysterman23 likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #13 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

I really don't believe, as a rule, the brick and mortar stores are marking up 500% and trying to get away with it. I believe they paid multiple times more for the inventory than the next guy, particularly the next internet guy. That doesn't mean you have to pay up, just that I don't think they're intentionally trying to rip folks off like that. Of course, it does happen, but I believe it's the exception.

The internet has made retail pricing very difficult. Indeed, there are vendors who end up stuck with excess inventory they'd sell below cost, just to get the rotting capital back. Then everyone complains their local guy is so expensive. All sorts of scenarios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

This has little to do with local retail stores, or even internet retail. The price difference is between the "marine brand" and the "non-marine brand" for the exact same gear. I showed an example of this for blowers, and boatpoker implied the same for bilge pumps (of which I also have direct experience with the differences).

I'm sure retail stores pay more for something like a Rule brand than they would for the same non-branded part. The major difference is the manufacturer supplying the part and setting the prices, not the stores themselves.

The manufacturers even set prices in different markets. I often buy water pumps and other gear at RV stores for lower prices. These are the exact same brands and models, except the manufacturer sets different prices based on market segments. I've also bought stuff sold to professional markets that were much lower in price still.

I've a sneaky suspicion that these manufacturers lock in retailers with draconian terms.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

In many cases 'manufacturers' market a brand and manufacture nothing. Some do labeling and packaging inhouse...some contract out the whole shebang.

Source the real mfgr...invent a brand.. and away you go...
post #16 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

TQA
I won't add to the pricing debate but I would like to ask if you have considered a different type of boarding ladder. I ask because in our locale I've seen quite a few of those telescoping types and the majority seem to be in pretty bad shape. It looks to me like the telescoping tubes lead to early rusting that is not easily removed.
zeehag likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
No comment on prices in the Caribbean but glad to hear someone living on a boat spends his vacation skiing in SLC. TQA living the dream.
Any day in the mountains is a good day but sunshine good snow empty pistes and no lift lines and a ski buddy make it great.
Attached Thumbnails
A good day on the snow.png  
jephotog likes this.
post #18 of 36 Old 03-31-2019 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
TQA
I won't add to the pricing debate but I would like to ask if you have considered a different type of boarding ladder. I ask because in our locale I've seen quite a few of those telescoping types and the majority seem to be in pretty bad shape. It looks to me like the telescoping tubes lead to early rusting that is not easily removed.
I like the telescopic ladder I have as it fits the wooden steps I made and it stores nicely when folded up.

It is the bottom step that goes and the welds succumb to crevice corrosion.

They last 4 years so at 49 $ that is 12.25 $ US a year. Seems a good deal to me.
Attached Thumbnails
BOARDING LADDER 003.JPG  
post #19 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Any day in the mountains is a good day but sunshine good snow empty pistes and no lift lines and a ski buddy make it great.
I like your attitude. I have been alternating my life with time on the beach sailing and time in the mountains skiing. It would be nice to have an opportunity to mix them up in the same year. Hopefully I will be getting a buoy this year so I can do some sailing in the mountains.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #20 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

The transom of your boat looks great, except for the metal ladder. I agree that $50 is a modest price over 4 years; but I don't agree that the ladder has lasted 4 years, it looks terrible.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in