Ripped off ? or a fair profit ? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 04-08-2019

Re: Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?

Nice thread and it's good to hear from open minded people. Many times on boating forums you hear a lot of scare tactics "I wouldn't risk sinking in the ocean and killing my entire family just to save $100 on some cheap Chinese junk...." blah blah blah

I'm considering a custom build in China and reading these threads I think it would be easy enough to have sample products delivered to the shipyard, where I could inspect and destructively "stress" test them, affordably. Things like LED lights, bilge pumps, window frames, flooring, etc. Certain items like chain could be trusted if they are CCS (class certified) with certificates, but other items are more about quality in fit and finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 04-08-2019

Exactly how does one stress test Chinese off brand electronics? That is just a game of roulette, IMO. You may win, you may lose. No idea how the average consumer can predict their outcome, which is the issue. There are ample videos out there, where electronics pros have disassembled electronics (name brand and knockoffs side by side) to show why they are so much cheaper and why it can be dangerous. You do you, but I don't think you can get away from it being riskier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 36 Old 04-08-2019

Probably reputation means something. If the product was failing enough the reputation would tank. A competitive product has to struggle against the establish products with a reputation of reliability. If the product is sound and is less expensive people will try it and then the rubber meets the road. Reports of failures or sub par performance will get around and an attractive price will mean nothing. Inexpensive junk is still junk. Reliable manufacturers will support and stand by their product. Try getting that from some web link to Asia.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #34 of 36 Old 04-08-2019

Well Minnewaska, specifically to Chinese electronics, it would certainly make sense to stick with the one or two best manufacturers, companies like ONWA and Bochi provide to the commercial shipping industry. I have found that Chinese electronics, engines and generators are not well-represented in North America, but are well known in Europe, Africa and obviously Asia.
post #35 of 36 Old 04-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Well Minnewaska, specifically to Chinese electronics, it would certainly make sense to stick with the one or two best manufacturers, companies like ONWA and Bochi provide to the commercial shipping industry. I have found that Chinese electronics, engines and generators are not well-represented in North America, but are well known in Europe, Africa and obviously Asia.
I assume those wouldn't be the "cheap Chinese junk" you first mentioned. I never said anything from China was crap. iPhones are made in China. However, their cheap junk is just that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 36 Old 04-10-2019

There have been many threads on Trawler Forum about Chinese manufacturing. In my industry we fabricate incredibly complicated items at some amazing state-of-the-art facilities in China. Other guys commented about their American companies manufacturing in China as well. Then there are Cummins, Apple and a host of other examples. What all these have in common is that there are strict quality controls in place. Engineers and managers from the "home country" are ensuring the quality of every part of the cycle.

The challenge comes when wanting to purchase "pure Chinese" products because it is tough to gauge the level of quality control in place unless one visits in person. That's when you get in to the Harbor Freight and Walmart level of quality, which often time absolutely is cheap junk.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in