Ripped off ? or a fair profit ? - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 03-30-2019 Thread Starter
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?

Recently I have had to replace two items on my boat both are safety related.

The first was the LPG solenoid. If I bought one from the local chandler it would be the same as the one that had just disintegrated in a pile of rust in less than 2 years and would cost 95 $ US. If I bought one from China it would have a brass body and would cost 9.71 $ US plus 4 $ US postage. It might last longer than the crappy expensive steel one.

The second is my swim / boarding ladder. The part that needs replacement is stainless steel 4 step telescopic ladder. They last about 4 years but the welds fail on the bottom step even though it gets pulled out of the water most days. If I buy from the local chandler it is 289 $ US EXACTLY THE SAME ITEM is available on Ebay and Amazon for 49 $ with free postage sometimes.

So the solenoid bought from the local chandler would cost 978% more.

The telescopic ladder 590 % more.

I bought the Chinese solenoid when I saw the steel one rusting badly. I will buy a spare 49$ ladder the next time I go skiing in Salt Lake City. If I had to buy locally would I feel ripped off? You bet I would.

I accept that I will have to pay more in the Eastern Caribbean but they are pushing it.

I included the sunset pic. because after I had sorted both problems I was enjoying my sundowner in the cockpit and was rewarded with a green flash lasting about 2 seconds with a vertical beam of light form the horizon. Definitely in my personal top 5. What was it worth? there is no price>
Attached Thumbnails
2-IMG_0198.JPG   1-IMG_0185.JPG   BOARDING LADDER 001.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-30-2019

Re: Ripped off ? or a fair profit ?

That looks like a Windline ladder. If so, they are very good at support and replacement for failed ones.

I find no-brand things like bilge blowers, bilge pumps, etc to be the exact same as those from Rule, Atwood, etc - to the point of having only a different sticker in the place boxed out for a sticker - and they cost 1/4 of the name brand ones. Likely your solenoid will be fine, if not better than the expensive marine ones. I know the cheap $10 propane regulator I bought has outlasted the $80 marine brand one that looks just like it internally and externally.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 03-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

The second is my swim / boarding ladder. The part that needs replacement is stainless steel 4 step telescopic ladder. They last about 4 years but the welds fail on the bottom step even though it gets pulled out of the water most days. If I buy from the local chandler it is 289 $ US EXACTLY THE SAME ITEM is available on Ebay and Amazon for 49 $ with free postage sometimes.

So the solenoid bought from the local chandler would cost 978% more.

The telescopic ladder 590 % more.

I bought the Chinese solenoid when I saw the steel one rusting badly. I will buy a spare 49$ ladder the next time I go skiing in Salt Lake City. If I had to buy locally would I feel ripped off? You bet I would.
>
I had a rusted out swim ladder on which the bottom step failed. I found exactly the right ladder at Overton's (I think) for a quite reasonable price, something like $80. It has held up just fine for two years so far.

post #4 of 36 Old 03-30-2019
Old soul

Sounds like capitalism at its finest. They are selling at an exorbitant rate because they can Ö or they think they can. The market will tell them pretty quickly.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #5 of 36 Old 03-30-2019

Good post.
Not as cornered and trapped these days
post #6 of 36 Old 03-30-2019

Yeah the solenoid for $95 is an absolute RIP off. There is nothing special about a "marine" solenoid, in fact if the marine version corrodes it is worse than a commercial grade valve, which is usually brass, and a fraction of the price.

Businesses feel entitled to Jack up the price because it is associated with "yachts".

All you have to do is compare the price of Webasto heaters from the chandlery vs from the trucking supply house...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #7 of 36 Old 03-30-2019

Here's an example of the reverse. TMC electric toilet recently for sale at our local chandlery (Whitworths) A$200.00 or thereabouts, Fleabay had two resellers offering the same item at A$600.00+. Just have to know your prices.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
post #8 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

No comment on prices in the Caribbean but glad to hear someone living on a boat spends his vacation skiing in SLC. TQA living the dream.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #9 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

There are a number of surrounding issues, although, in the end, some chandleries are just ripping you off.

That said, to round out the perspective, the chandlery most likely paid multiple times what you think to acquire it themselves.

In some cases, that's simply because they bought in small quantity, while other supplies are dealing in wholesale quantities. The local store might also have it on the shelf for long time, incurring interest expense, before they get their cost back, let alone a profit that will pay for the rent and lights.

There can also be a liability difference. When the exact same part is sold for marine use, it could contribute to a drowning or destruction of other million dollar yachts. If sold for a less risky use, their regulatory or insurance costs can be a fraction. For example, I bought I single engine airplane, when I was in my 20s. I scrapped up everything I had and borrowed some money. I was then broke. The alternator failed shortly thereafter. It was exactly (I mean zero modifications) an AC Delco Chevy alternator. I could have bought a new one for $80 or had mine rebuilt for much less at a local autoparts store. Instead, I was required to get one with the proper FAA paperwork, which did nothing but put the supplier in the line of liability. It cost $200. There was no choice.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 36 Old 03-31-2019

Here is an example. One can buy the "big-name marine manufacturer" blower: https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-PERFOR...gateway&sr=8-3

Or one can buy the identical item from a "no-name manufacturer": https://www.amazon.com/MARINE-PERFOR...gateway&sr=8-3

I own one of each of these, and both are in operation, and I can tell you that there is not a lick of difference between the two except for the thin sticker around the middle.

I suspect that all "manufacturers" are not actually making these, but getting their supply from the same builder.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in