Cleaning inside of water tanks - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 04-03-2019 Thread Starter

Cleaning inside of water tanks

I have a Pacific Seacraft 31 1997 Purchased this year.

I doubt the water tanks have been cleaned in many years. They're made of GRP and built into the boat. I do have fairly large observation holes covered in clear plexiglass. I could see some dirt at the bottom and slime on the walls when I shine a light into the tanks. Access into the tanks through these ports "should" not be a problem.

What would you recommend as a good cleaner when I scrub the tanks' insides? Also, when I need to remove this cleaning fluid and the water used to wash the tank, should I pump it directly out of the tanks. Or, is it ok to let that dirty water flow through the pipes and out the faucets? (I will sanitize the whole system with after the tanks are scrubbed/ drained)

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-03-2019

Re: Cleaning inside of water tanks

Try a type of oxyclean and scrub brush
post #3 of 26 Old 04-03-2019
Señor Member

See the following thread (Post #8) for info from Peggie Hall: Fresh Water Tank Maintenance

post #4 of 26 Old 04-03-2019

I would never drink water from a tank. You could probably disinfect it with chlorox flushed thru the system... and use the water in the tanks for cleaning, washing and showering.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 26 Old 04-03-2019
Señor Member

I went through the same thing last summer. I have a Bristol 29.9 with FRP tanks, each with an access port like you describe. The ports on mine were made by Beckson. I found that those ports would leak when the tank was filled, so I replaced the seals and I also got a 'wrench' from them that was a great help in opening the ports (or deck plates).

Before scrubbing the tanks, I used Peggie's process to kill everything that was in the system, flushed it out the next day, and then scrubbed the tanks - I may have used oxiclean or a bleach solution - I can't really remember. Just nothing too sudsy...

Then I flushed with clean water at least twice. It did the trick. I don't really drink the tank water...but I bet I could.

PS - lubeing the inspection ports also made them seal better and open easier.

Last edited by ottos; 04-03-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-04-2019
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fune31 View Post

What would you recommend as a good cleaner when I scrub the tanks' insides? Also, when I need to remove this cleaning fluid and the water used to wash the tank, should I pump it directly out of the tanks. Or, is it ok to let that dirty water flow through the pipes and out the faucets? (I will sanitize the whole system with after the tanks are scrubbed/ drained)

Thanks,

Mark
Mark--

We've had very good results with a Trac Ecological product, see (click on) "PSR". Used as directed, the product does a good job and, afterward, using a product such as AquaBon when refilling the tanks, the water remains "sweet" for quite a long while. Note, however, that we always run refill water through a fine canister filter equipped with hose fittings before admitting it to the tanks and a secondary Pentek sediment and charcoal filter between the tanks and the faucet fixtures and, in the galley, a third "Seagull" filter for drinking and cooking uses.

FWIW...
oysterman23 likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 26 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-04-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I would never drink water from a tank. You could probably disinfect it with chlorox flushed thru the system... and use the water in the tanks for cleaning, washing and showering.
Funny… we ALWAYS drink the water from our tank. So far, I’m still ticking along.

We go through an extensive tank shocking, as per Peggy’s advice, at the beginning of every season. Through the season we either add chlorine, or preferably fill with chlorinated water (municipal sources). And then we filter our water through a couple of standard elements (a 5 micron, and a basic carbon filter).

We’ve never had any problems with our water.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Funny… we ALWAYS drink the water from our tank. So far, I’m still ticking along.

We go through an extensive tank shocking, as per Peggy’s advice, at the beginning of every season. Through the season we either add chlorine, or preferably fill with chlorinated water (municipal sources). And then we filter our water through a couple of standard elements (a 5 micron, and a basic carbon filter).

We’ve never had any problems with our water.
We rarely drink tap water... bottled water at home and on the boat. Boat has a refillable 3 gallon tank w/spigot. It's over the galley of course.

We filter going in to the tank, filter w/ a culligan to a tap we use for rice, pasta.
Attached Thumbnails
2011-10-08 11.46.39.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #10 of 26 Old 04-04-2019

NSF-53 rated carbon block filters (cysts) offer the same performance as Seagull for a fraction the price (eg. Pentek Floplus 10 for $17). And Seagull is not NSF rated. Just sayin'.

As for statements that "we don't drink tank water," it's environmentally embarrassing, in this age, in my opinion. We can do better. We need to do better. And it is easy to do.

I cover the basics here:

Sail Delmarva: Drinking Water Filtration--The Short Version
Jeff_H, ottos, MikeOReilly and 1 others like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Tags
pacific seacraft , water tank

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in