SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Filling large holes in teak rub rail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329056-filling-large-holes-teak-rub-rail.html)

Gladrags1 04-04-2019 06:32 AM

How about making plugs out of teak and gluing them into bad areas on the rubrail that you drill out? Then sand everything smooth.

SanderO 04-04-2019 08:13 AM

Re: Filling large holes in teak rub rail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladrags1 (Post 2051593668)
How about making plugs out of teak and gluing them into bad areas on the rubrail that you drill out? Then sand everything smooth.

You can buy plug cutter (circle cutters) for various diameters. Larger ones will require a 1/2" drill and better a drill press.

You then drill a clean hole, insert the appropriate sized plug and sand.

krisscross 04-04-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051593664)
I would repair the wood with proper joints and the repair pieces that fit with a tight joint the same as you would if building a boat. any thing else is going to be a half ass job and will stand out and look bad.

That is a huge job, difficult and very expensive. I hired a carpenter only to get scammed as the guy was absolutely pathetic while charging me 50 bucks an hour. When I asked him to show some results before I pay him again, he got offended and quit. I could not find anyone else to do it so I am struck doing it myself.

krisscross 04-04-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladrags1 (Post 2051593668)

The areas requiring repairs have irregular shapes and some are long gaps between wood. Would be hard to fill them with plugs.

justified 04-04-2019 02:24 PM

Kriss

sorry but it sounds like you got gouged( I know bad pun). I would have to agree with Overbored if not done with tight joints it will always stand out and you won't be happy. Its not as hard as you might think with the correct tools. Get yourself a small trim router with a streight end mill bit, and a couple good quality wood chisels. and a block plane. You will be able to control the router with the streight mill bit it won't want to walk on its own. set up some guides and you will get nice streight square cut and joints. Use a good quality epoxy you can add teak sand/saw dust to it to fill small gaps. Epxoy is not UV protected so will need varnish on top. Wipe your joints with acid tone to cut the natural teak oils for better adhesion. A pro in no time....maybe even pay yourself $50 an hour.

TomMaine 04-04-2019 03:05 PM

If you just want to fill the voids with epoxy, use a typical fairing filler (West) that is close to or lighter than the surrounding wood.

Add epoxy color (brown - in a small tube), to get as close a match as possible. Sand, varnish.

mike dryver 04-04-2019 04:42 PM

If you know how to use a router, rout the areas out, then make pieces to fit snugly, then epoxy in place. It will look like crap, any other way ! It is not a hard job just a little time consuming ! You could even do it with a circular saw, to get most of it down to level, then finish with a chisel !

krisscross 04-04-2019 06:28 PM

The router might work on the cap rail but not on the rub rail. Rub rail is rather thin (7/16) and of course vertical. And that is where most of the damage is, and where most repairs are needed.

paulinnanaimo 04-04-2019 07:00 PM

I think replacing the wood as suggested is the only remedy if you want to keep the stained or varnished look. But there are some very nice looking boats with painted finishes, this would allow filling the gouges in any number of ways, sanding smooth, and painting.

Scotty C-M 04-04-2019 07:43 PM

One of the nice things about wood is that it comes from living organisms. It has dark spots, lines, and yes, imperfections. While larger areas would lend themselves to routing out strips and setting in veneers, smaller areas might just be fine with filling and sanding. Teak dust in epoxy fills a good color. Yes, they will show different shades of color, but if done well, it could look nice.