SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Filling large holes in teak rub rail (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329056-filling-large-holes-teak-rub-rail.html)

krisscross 04-03-2019 04:43 PM

Filling large holes in teak rub rail

Iím restoring a boat with good amount of dock rash (hurricane damage). Entire sections of rub and cap rail had to be cut off and replaced. The work is still going on but in the end I will have a bunch of dings and gouges in teak that I have to somehow fill in and fair in preparation for some sort of final coat of varnish. I was thinking of using epoxy thickened with short chopped fiberglass. Some surfaces are horizontal (cap rail) and some - actually most of them are - vertical (rub rail). The rub rail will be topped with 1.25 inch wide stainless steel rub strip.
Any better ideas?

SanderO 04-03-2019 04:47 PM

Re: Filling large holes in teak rub rail

can't recommend without seeing photos.

krisscross 04-03-2019 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two examples of horizontal areas. One small gap and one large gouge.

RegisteredUser 04-03-2019 05:37 PM

I cant see it very well.
Is it too large for sawdust and glue?

krisscross 04-03-2019 06:54 PM

Yes, itís hard to show it in a picture. I was thinking of possibly using wood powder mixed with some glue but what kind of glue to use? A lot of them shrink and most would flow down the vertical surfaces. Altogether itís quite a bit of material that has to be used in order to fill all the spots.

RegisteredUser 04-03-2019 07:03 PM

Take a look at TiteBond III and see if that would handle UVs. Can be masked and sanded
Use the damaged take offs to make the sawdust....same wood
You mix thick like a putty

roverhi 04-03-2019 09:19 PM

Don't think filling the dings with resin based filler will pass the varnish test. The repairs will stand out and you'll be stuck trying to maintain it. Would paint the woodwork and be done with it.

krisscross 04-03-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 2051593632)
Don't think filling the dings with resin based filler will pass the varnish test. The repairs will stand out and you'll be stuck trying to maintain it. Would paint the woodwork and be done with it.

Yes, I was thinking of a colored/stain like varnish to blend it all into a more uniform color. But filling the holes still has to be done first.

celenoglu 04-04-2019 02:24 AM

Use fresh saw dust of teak inside epoxy. This will be the best matching material.

overbored 04-04-2019 02:33 AM

I would repair the wood with proper joints and the repair pieces that fit with a tight joint the same as you would if building a boat. any thing else is going to be a half ass job and will stand out and look bad.