Insulating top of ice box - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Insulating top of ice box

You can insulate the bottom of the cover using 2-part foam insulation. Make a form and pour it in. Once it sets, you can shape it and coat it with epoxy and maybe a layer of glass mat.
krisscross likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I am surprised ambient fridge temp is enough to create condensation on the exterior, even with poor insulation.
I'm not, especially if it's an older boat in a warm, humid climate.

My Tartan 37 has fridge doors that are made of wood. Period. No additional insulation. A previous owner glued some 1/2" foam to the inside of the doors, which helps some, but they're still noticeably cold.

I didn't think of this till now, but if there is room you may be able to add some foam to the inside of the doors. Or possibly make new doors that are foam cored. Assuming you have a similar situation to me.
krisscross likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

There is insulation on top part of the icebox but likely not much. The condensation is on the counter top surface and yes, itís Florida. Evaporator plate is in just below the counter top. I will see if any insulation can be added inside but condensation is all over that area. The door seal is decent.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #14 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old as Dirt!

For what its worth, we made a flexible inner "cover" out of Reflectix. A portion extends over the top of the evaporator to the back of the box while the balance extends over the contents to the front of the box and can be rolled back as necessary to access the contents. The benefit of this approach is that one does not need to cool the empty space above the contents when the box is only partially filled so a snugly fitting cover keeps the "cool" where it's needed. A couple of layers of Reflectix glued together and then to the underside of the lid/cover is also quite helpful. The foregoing solved our condensate problems on the lid surface here in southwest Florida.

FWIW...
krisscross likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #15 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
There is insulation on top part of the icebox but likely not much. The condensation is on the counter top surface and yes, itís Florida. Evaporator plate is in just below the counter top. I will see if any insulation can be added inside but condensation is all over that area. The door seal is decent.
Is the evaporator plate actually touching the top surface of the box? If it is then that would certainly explain how cold the countertop is getting. Evaporator temp is much lower than ambient box temp. Adding spacers so there is a gap between the plate and the top of the box will not only improve your condensation problem, it will also increase the efficiency. If you have an air gap, the warmest air, which, of course, rises to the top, will be able to circulate across the top of the plate. If you do have an air gap there already you want to make sure that frost build up has not bridged that gap, creating a conduit for the evaporator to suck heat out of the top of the box.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #16 of 16 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Evaporator box is not touching the upper insulation layer but the gap is small, maybe 3/8 of an inch. No frost there.
I will look up that Reflectix insulation.
Thanks for all your input. Very helpful.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in