Insulating top of ice box - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Insulating top of ice box

My ice box has a lot of condensation on top surface when my refrigerator is running. I take it the insulation is not sufficient. Right now I知 covering it with a sheet of closed cell foam, about half inch thick. It definitely helps but I知 contemplating a better solution. Any ideas?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

Re: Insulating top of ice box

How about another sheet of foam glued to the underside of the lid to increase R value?
krisscross likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

1st thought....
Are you ok with the power draw/need
If so..maybe you just l8ve with it

Gallery counter top space is dear.
Mine is usually confused...
krisscross likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

Old boat refrigerators are horribly insulated by modern standards. What you're already doing is probably the most reasonable solution without getting into a big renovation project.

I'm doing the same with mine, but also budgeting for a major renovation next season.
krisscross likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

The engineers say 4" of blue board on sides and bottom or eqjuvalent R value, 2" for the top for a refrigerator box. Should have a UV barrier especially on the top under the companionway. That can be as simple as glued on tin foil shiny side out. As Registereduser says may be you can live with it as is as it will be a bit of PITA to install insulation if the counter above is already in place. If not 2" foam insulation in top and lid with an airtight seal on the lid will definitely help keeping the hot out.

Blueboard is the DOW styrofoam hard board insulation if you didn't know. They advertise Blue Board as R5 per inch.
krisscross likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions. The power draw by the unit is tolerable as is but I would love to cut it a bit. Draws about 6 to 7amps when running. And runs maybe 25% of the time. Perhaps the unit runs too cold. Ice sometimes forms on stuff near the cold plate.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

Have you checked the seal around the hatch? Close a dollar bill in the seal and try to pull it out. If it sticks, the seal is good, if it pulls out easily, it's leaking. Of course, you'll have to repeat this around the perimeter. I think bad seals are the most common cause of humidity ingress and excessive run time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

When you say "top" do you mean outside the box? If so, why not glue some sheet insulation to the top of the box but inside? I did that on my previous boat which had no insulation on the top of the box, only the plywood counter. It helped.
krisscross likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #9 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Thanks for suggestions. The power draw by the unit is tolerable as is but I would love to cut it a bit. Draws about 6 to 7amps when running. And runs maybe 25% of the time. Perhaps the unit runs too cold. Ice sometimes forms on stuff near the cold plate.
Too cold is something you want to avoid. I did this video when the boat first arrived in Florida:
https://youtu.be/Scu1wqOHIy0

Since then, I noticed that things were freezing in the refrigerator. So I bought a pair of fridge thermos and put one in the freezer portion and one in the refrigerator portion and adjusted the settings until the temperatures were correct in both places. I haven't timed it again, but I'm quite certain the compressor is running less often now.

Doing the same should reduce the power usage, but I doubt it's going to do much to reduce condensation on the top. That problem is the result of poor insulation and the only thing that will 100% solve it is better insulation.
krisscross likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
My ice box has a lot of condensation on top surface when my refrigerator is running. I take it the insulation is not sufficient. Right now I知 covering it with a sheet of closed cell foam, about half inch thick. It definitely helps but I知 contemplating a better solution. Any ideas?
I am surprised ambient fridge temp is enough to create condensation on the exterior, even with poor insulation.

Is it just the lid that is getting cold or is it the countertop? If it is the countertop is it possible that the evaporator plate is in direct contact with the underside? If that is the case, then unscrewing the evaporator and adding some spacers will help.

Some pics might help.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
krisscross likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in