Spreader Lights - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

Spreader Lights

Do you think spreader lights are worth having? In what situations have you found them helpful?

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Dock
Re: Spreader Lights

I never use them.
I know my deck and can get around it at night, though I do have a torch in my pocket for intricate things.

I have used the deck lights to illuminate the boat better when a ship can't see me. But that's very seldom.

Maybe at anchor if the band is playing on the foredeck?
paulk likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Have a deck light on the mast... very rarely if ever used.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Before cheap headlamps, handy. Now, not so much.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Foredeck lite and strong headlamp seems to suffice but spreadrr lites would be nice.
Hard to have too much lite...
post #6 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Lights like that destroy any night vision the helmsman might have. This would tend to make them dangerous to use under way. We find there is generally enough ambient light, even at 02h00 for example, for any usual sail handling operations. We don't have spreader lights. We don't have a band to play on the foredeck either, but that might be a good time to use them. Sheet music would be hard for the band members to read otherwise.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock

I have a deck light under my steaming light....donít use it often but it is very nice to have sometimes:

Leave it on in a big and crowded anchorage to help finding my boat a bit easier when returning in my dinghy after dark;

Nice to have light on a relatively big area like the deck when doing projects at night at anchor;

Used it to illuminate the boat at night when my anchor light failed recently;

I havenít used it for the band, though, because most members or the Banjo Chorus canít read sheet music anyway!

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #8 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Yep, wouldn't leave the dock without them. Used them every night on a trip from Mobile Bay to Knoxville. I left them on at night to ward off evil tugs with barges. It worked, I'm here.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

We like our LED spreader lights. They come in handy at anchor or at a dock, especially if you are entertaining guests or working on a maintenance project. Headlamps are fine but it's a lot nicer to brightly illuminate the entire deck.

A situation in an anchorage one night about a decade ago, before we had spreader lights, convinced us to install spreader lights. A very drunk couple was having a loud, vicious argument in their dinghy, which apparently had run out of fuel about 100' away from their large trawler. Eventually, the woman dove into the water and swam to the trawler. As soon as she climbed aboard, she fired up the engines, apparently intending to ditch the guy. At that moment, every boat in the anchorage turned on all of their lights. This woman was blind drunk, so everyone was trying to be as visible as possible. I looked out with a twinge of jealousy at the boats that had bright spreader lights. She immediately put the engines into gear and took off at full throttle, with the anchor still down. When the rode came taught, the snubber either came free from the chain or simply parted, and the chain began to free-spool. At this point, she must have realized something was wrong; the engines immediately shut down. The guy paddled the dinghy to trawler, climbed aboard and went inside the cabin. They weren't seen or heard from for the rest of the night, and neither one of them checked their anchor rode. Luckily, it was a calm night so there wasn't much stress on the anchor and their chain held. If she had succeeded in getting underway, it could have been a deadly scene in that anchorage.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-17-2019

Hmmm. As I posted in another thread, I'm rewiring mast and adding some stuff. I had decided against spreader lights, but now I'm re-thinking that.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in