Bottom Paint COLOR! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: Bottom Paint COLOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
At one point I was considering painting bottom paint over the boot stripe and just not having a boot stripe and then I woke up . Hehe .
I think most of us out sailing full time end up doing w/o the boot stripe and bringing up the bottom paint to at least the top of the boot stripe. As we get more and more gear aboard for long distance sailing she gets deeper than the bottom paint can keep clean. Also, a boot stripe is rather expensive to maintain if one is sailing a lot.
As for color, I've always had it my head that a red bottom was safer in regards to encounters with large oceanic mammals. I'm absolutely sure that's complete garbage, but it sits in the back of my mind every time I see a bottom that isn't red, my black one included.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

Personally it is a matter of aesthetics for me, but the contrasting coloring of layers suggestion is a good one in my eyes. I do have to say I really have never been a fan of black..I've never liked it, never will, but that is just me. We do have one beer can racer where we are who has pink bottom paint...I'm not sure about that one, but they do take a good amount of ribbing from the other boat owners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #13 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I was present for a damage survey on a friend's boat after it had been struck by the Yacht Club tender (another story). A beautiful boat with dark blue hull and red bottom paint, a real head turner. One of the surveyors took me aside and said "He should paint the bottom a different color." Why is that I asked, do other colors work better or last longer ? "No, Red makes whales angry, they always attack boats with red bottoms"
All I could think to say was "I hadn't heard that".

"Just call me TB"

post #14 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Iíve been across Stellwagon bank more times than I can remember. Itís the famous Right Whale feeding ground, off New England, that gets all the whale watching boats. Most times Iíve crossed, weíve seen nothing. We do see the occasional whale, briefly and off in the distance.

I think it was summer of Ď17, we departed Boston to sail out outside Cape Cod and around to Nantucket. We saw no less than 20 whales, maybe 30. Iíve never seen anything like it. Some as close as 150 feet away. Iím sure we saw the same whale more than once, but there were times we saw 4 or 5 simulataneuously, which is very, very rare. None breached on that sighting, which we have seen before, but only when it was the one whale we saw at all.

Iíll never forget it. Never worried that weíd be rammed or breached upon. Our hull is grey, we look like one of their own.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I've had a few whales get very close including one that swam under the boat then would roll out to the side to blow, pretty unnerving but you can't do anything but maintain course and let him have his way with you. Humpbacks however are like a bunch of kids on spring break and not to be trusted due to their erratic behavior.
Attached Thumbnails
above.JPG   under.JPG  

"Just call me TB"
post #16 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hold course and pee your pants.
Its in the regs....
post #17 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

https://www.yachtingworld.com/cruisi...s-at-sea-61260

From what I gather from this article all bottom colors are bad lol
post #18 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Everyone knows the only bottom color is red. All these other new fangled colors are for sissies and wannabe's.

Used to be that red had more copper content than other colors but that's no longer the case.

Using two or more coats of different colored bottom paint is a good idea with ablative paints. You can tell how much of the paint has sloughed/ablated off. Doesn't make sense with hard bottom paints as they don't slough off and stay pretty much the applied thickness unless heavily burnished (sanded) with abrasives when cleaned. Ablative paints wear off exposing fresh anti-fouling agents. Hard paints leach the anti fouling chemical through the paint.
sailforlife likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

My hull is black.

Growth needs light. Black keeps it darker.

I have blue under the black for 2 rwadons:
1) I can tell when the black is gone.
2) those dock yard painters can't rip me off.

Mainly for 2!

Mark
sailforlife likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 22 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
My hull is black.

Growth needs light. Black keeps it darker.

I have blue under the black for 2 rwadons:
1) I can tell when the black is gone.
2) those dock yard painters can't rip me off.

Mainly for 2!

Mark
I heard whales love Black bottoms you might be in for a good whale humping!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in