Looking for the best temporary leak fix ... - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2019

Re: Looking for the best temporary leak fix ...

My eyes wander while I'm doing other things, and I was looking at that small gap between the toerail and the deck on both sides of the toerail. I was thinking, after I redo the deck with 2 part or gelcoat, and refinishing the toerail, taping and putting in a bead of black caulk of some form to keep water from intruding on the hull/deck joint. As with any compound, you'd probably want to go OVER the toerail finish so the raw teak wouldn't suck the life out of the caulk Just ruminating. I could make it look outstanding, but not sure the efficacy. It would keep water from getting under, but you've also got the track on the rail where water could be coming in through the bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 04-22-2019

Re: Looking for the best temporary leak fix ...

On our boat we have a wooden toe rial . The hull to deck joint is "L" on the hull and to a "L" on the deck and that was sealed with a bedding compound and then the wood cap rail was bolted down and then a bead of caulk on both sides . now that the Westsails are really old they all leak . The fix is easy , remove the old caulking and put new .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 04-23-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in