5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

Great idea. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 04-22-2019

Re: Thru Hull Modification

Presuming that your backing plate is permanent (i.e. not wood) like G10, you just seat the backing plate with the new outer threaded fitting tight into the inner seacock fitting... all with epoxy mush. Once cured for a hew hours, grind off the proud outside part. i.e. grind off the protruding thru hull flange and the hardened epoxy that oozed out around it. All smooth and strong as the hull itself or stronger.
This type/model of seacock can be rebuilt from the inside, BTW.
We replaced all of our 80's Marlon originals like this in the 90's, when these new-generation Forespar products had replaced their earlier Marlon ones.

No worries about electrolysis and waaaaay stronger than the ABYC minimum spec for seacock strength.

The base mounting mounting system is clearly visible in this blog. Note that the epoxy was smoothed around the backing plate. Strong and water proof. Gotta say... that Forespar winterizing thru-hull fitting is really great, too. Use it every season.
Coupler, Shaft Seal, and Antifreeze - Blogs - EY.o Information Exchange

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Last edited by olson34; 04-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-22-2019 Thread Starter

I think I'm with you except for the hull side. The new skin is much smaller than original. Are you saying that the new thru hull will hang below the hull and to apply epoxy around it. Then when cured grind off excess? Thanks for your imput

post #14 of 21 Old 04-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac123 View Post
I think I'm with you except for the hull side. The new skin is much smaller than original. Are you saying that the new thru hull will hang below the hull and to apply epoxy around it. Then when cured grind off excess? Thanks for your imput
If it is the same (or a tad less) diameter as the hole, it will suck up tight with thickened epoxy all around the thread, against the G10 backing plate, and oozing out around the outside of the head (no matter what style of head). Once hardened all the 'proud' part outside gets ground flush with the rest of the hull. Basically the thru hull part has become (Zen alert...) one with the frp hull.

Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #15 of 21 Old 05-30-2019

There is a 2" gap between my West Marine Perko and Groco 1-1/4" Thru-Hull and the Seacock
Who here has a 2" thick hull.
West Marine doesn't sale anything smaller and i can't find anything online
Our hull is 1" solid glass, do i really need a 1" thick backing plate to make it fit?
Attached Thumbnails
20190530_205733.jpg  
post #16 of 21 Old 05-30-2019

Get your hacksaw out and cut the through hull off.
Whalerus likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-31-2019

Thanks roverhi.
Just to make sure i'm hearing you right, what your saying is to cut the brand new Thru-hull in half to make it fit the brand new Seacock? All because my hull isn't over 2" thick like a shrimp boat.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-31-2019

Lightbulb Re: Thru Hull Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerus View Post
There is a 2" gap between my West Marine Perko and Groco 1-1/4" Thru-Hull and the Seacock
Who here has a 2" thick hull.
West Marine doesn't sale anything smaller and i can't find anything online
Our hull is 1" solid glass, do i really need a 1" thick backing plate to make it fit?
It might be helpful to harmonize our terminology in such a thread, too.
What you describe is a "valve screwed onto a threaded thru hull" and not actually a "seacock". The later sits lower and is a one piece casting incorporating a valve (usually a ball valve these days) and the hose is clamped directly onto the tailpiece. This is very very strong compared to a valve screwed onto the thru hull fitting.
And, a seacock also sits low against the hull inside surface. If your hull's layup is actually one inch thick in the installation area, yes, you already have the equivalent of a 'backing plate'. Of course that is just an opinion flung out from the internet - worth 'bout what you paid!
Whalerus likes this.

Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
The Following User Says Thank You to olson34 For This Useful Post:
Whalerus (06-04-2019)
post #19 of 21 Old 05-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalerus View Post
Thanks roverhi.
Just to make sure i'm hearing you right, what your saying is to cut the brand new Thru-hull in half to make it fit the brand new Seacock? All because my hull isn't over 2" thick like a shrimp boat.
Yes, cut the thru-hull to whatever length works with your hull thickness. You could put an over thick pad under the valve but it wouldn't be needed for strength. If you go the thick pad route would not use plywood. Used plywood when we built our boat and most of them delaminated over time. You could saturate the plywood with epoxy but that's not a guarantee that water still will not play havoc.
Whalerus likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
Whalerus (06-01-2019)
post #20 of 21 Old 06-03-2019

I suggest you give Marinehowto.com a visit and read the entire article he wrote on thru hulls.
Whalerus likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in