Tether overload protection - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question Tether overload protection

I recently purchased a Wichard 3-point tether from my local marine consignment store. I'm about to begin my Coastal Passagemaking course, and need to have one, but am going broke buying all the equipment.

My question is this, how do you know if it is time to replace the webbing on a tether? Wichard says the threads are meant to be an indicator. But, when I contacted a representative at Wichard today, they were very vague, said yes we sell replacement webbing but the only recommendation is to buy an entire new tether. The tether I bought on consignment would be over $200 new. Not replacing it.

What would you do? I'm a fairly light-weight woman. Is this tether likely to fail on me? The representative wouldn't even talk to me about what to look for in the threads. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Tether overload protection

$200 is a lot for a tether, but how much is your life worth? When I start wondering: how secure is my tether, harness, helmet, parachute, it is time to replace.

If you need one for the class go with what you got. If you are going into a situation where you may be heading to the bow with conditions that require a harness or else, buy a new one. Do you really want to crawl onto the foredeck wondering the security of your safety system?
SteffanieS likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A very difficult question. Often things are placed on consignment because the last person felt it was too old (in which case a moral person would have cut it up). Or they just sold it.
* How old? (post a pic--we may be able to guess)
* How many days in the sun?
* Is it faded?

Post a pic.

(I've break tested lots of rope, old and new, and it is actually quite difficult to judge.)
MarkofSeaLife and SteffanieS like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #4 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

SteffanieS, The Wichard rep is going to be vague and non-committal due to product liability torts. The threads he is referring to are some multi-colored threads sewn (overcast?) near one of the shackles (on yours it probably is the one nearest to your harness). They are designed to break when the webbing is over stressed. Don’t quote me but I think yours is rated to 4,000 pounds. Normal use (and most “falls”) are well below the breaking strength of those safety threads. You should be fine. If you are still worried, take a close-up photo of those threads so we can inspect it. Have fun on your course and post your experiences. I’d love to read them. I’m off to Mexico in the morning to deliver a boat back to San Francisco so I will be “off the air” for the next couple of weeks so perhaps another sailnetter can pick up this thread.
MarkofSeaLife, CVAT and SteffanieS like this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #5 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Oh, I can answer this!

In general: pay the least for gear while you are doing lessons. Because it maybe the last time you go sailing.
If you do go crewing after your course your skipper will have tethers.
If you buy your own boat then you need to take a but more care.

Tethers will degrade (mostly) by 3 things:
UV
Abrasion
Impact

Like a seatbelt 1 car crash and you should replace it.

Unless you buy a tether new you don't know if it's been left in the sun for months, or if it's been stressed.
So when you buy your own boat you should upgrade to a new one but this one is fine while you're learning.

As a tip: Wichard are very good but are expensive. There's gotta be more economical but still safe brands 😊
CVAT and wymbly1971 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

You could fabricate one:

Tango locking carabiner ~$35: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EM8FIK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

1" tubular nylon is not expensive and breaks at ~2000 lbs and is easily doubled up and tied.

If you are confident in your stitching skills you can make it look nicer than the knotted version.

Pros:
-You know exactly what you have and what it's been exposed to.
-Somewhat less expensive than off the shelf. (But not when you consider the time you put into research and production)

Cons:
-Your commercially licensed skipper may not share your confidence in your handywork.
-You can't sue the manufacturer if it doesn't work the way you thought it would.
-Not consistent with the "spare no expense where safety kit is concerned" philosophy.
post #7 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
If you are confident in your stitching skills you can make it look nicer than the knotted version.
I used to rock climb, and I highly discourage this ...

It's surprisingly easy to make stitching that isn't nearly strong enough to handle the potential loads.

Knots, on the other hand, are a lot easier to ensure are tied correctly and knots have known breaking strengths. If you're going to make your own, I highly recommend that you research the correct type of knot for the situation and be sure you tie it correctly.

I would advise against stitching unless you have someone with experience doing stitching designed to handle the kinds of shock loads a harness is designed to handle. Not just any ordinary seam expert ... stitching for loads is a science unto itself.

All that being said, there's no reason I can think of that you couldn't tie your own with a little research.
MarkofSeaLife, CVAT and wymbly1971 like this.
post #8 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffanieS View Post
My question is this, how do you know if it is time to replace the webbing on a tether? Wichard says the threads are meant to be an indicator. But, when I contacted a representative at Wichard today, they were very vague... Is this tether likely to fail on me? The representative wouldn't even talk to me about what to look for in the threads.
Perhaps more to your point: I think you are talking about the stitching on the webbing where it is folded back on itself a few times. That is a strain indicator and is intended to break when a significant shock load (somehwat less than the tether's breaking load) is applied. If those threads are separated, damaged, or broken, the tether should be replaced.

Can you post a picture of the part you are concerned about?
SteffanieS likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Tango sells tethers for not much more than the cost of the components. Prices have come WAY down the last few years.

$112 for a 3-clip tether. The parts, purchased on e-bay, will cost yearly $100.

I used to be a proponent of DIY tethers, particularly for boat (multihulls) that needed odd lengths. But with this price drop, the smart thing is to buy.

---

Whether the strain threads are broken tells you NOTHING about the remaining strength in an old tether. It only means it has never been over-strained. But it could still be be weak as a kitten.

And Mark makes really good points. In truth, most tethers never see much use.
MarkofSeaLife, CVAT and wymbly1971 like this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #10 of 29 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Here is a double tether for a $100.

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/k...EaAkD6EALw_wcB

I have bought a lot of stuff from Landfall Navigation, good company to deal with. They have a single tether for even less.
chef2sail and SteffanieS like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in