What should I do about this swim platform? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 04-25-2019

Re: What should I do about this swim platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
See attached picture ...

The davits and the swim platform are new, and the other day I finished installing enough things that I tried bringing the dinghy up on the davits for the first time. As you can see from the picture, it got hung up on the swim platform. I left it there to get the picture.

Since this is new to the boat and new to me, I'm pondering if I should make some changes. Obviously, I could stand on the platform and hold the dinghy away while I raised it. Also, I doubt it will give me any trouble when lowering, given the shape of the platform. But this does add some complication to the process of getting the dinghy raised. I'm worried that it's going to be that last little bit of trouble that makes it too difficult to bring onboard if conditions are rough ... or that I will decide to leave it in the water if I'm tired or rushed when I really should raise it on the davits.

One option would be to have the lower section of the swim platform hinged and replace the upper bars with cables so the platform can swing up and out of the way. This would make it easy to raise the dinghy, but now the platform will be a little rickety, might rattle and make noise when I'm trying to sleep, and have moving points that could pinch someone accidentally. Also, it will be work, time and money to have it modified when I'm not even sure it's necessary to do so.

I've already asked a number of people for opinions and there are lots of different ones ... of course.

So ... I'm just fishing for more opinions before I make a final decision. What say you all?
Have to agree, the platform with the granny bars has to go. Definitely alter it so that it hinges up against the transom with good wire stays, it won't be rickety if it is done properly and if you are concerned about the wire stays use dyema, strong as and noiseless.

Cheers, Uncle Bob the 1st from Sydney Aust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bob the 1st For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (04-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
A dinghy in the air has no flotation effect.
until it is held down in the water by the swim platform. It will act like an inflatable "swimmy" that kids learning to swim wear on their arms.
Minnesail likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 04-26-2019

I hate to say it, because I like the idea of having a swim platform and have the same boat, but you've made my mind up. Skip the swim platform if you want dinghy davits. It's also in the way of self steering gear. I probably won't have davits or the swim platform. You can't make the boat be everything to everyone. I did, however, spend a solid half hour zooming in on your setup. Interesting.

EDIT: You LIKE this Bill? I'm suffering myself. Brought the rudder home for major surgery and spent 2 hours last night grinding off 40 years of bottom paint and prepping to cut and re-foam. That's AFTER we got back at 2AM from the Virgin Islands and worked all day at real jobs. All the portlights are out and I have to redo some of the paneling around them that had some minor rot. And on. And on. And on. Thanks for the video on the centerboard thing last night. That and the sheave show have been helpful. I've done this all before, several times with different boats, and very little concerns me, but very helpful seeing someone else 4 steps ahead of me on a boat I am somewhat unfamiliar with. Making me look closer before launching.
BillMoran likes this.

Last edited by VIEXILE; 04-26-2019 at 09:45 AM.

post #14 of 44 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIEXILE View Post
Thanks for the video on the centerboard thing last night. That and the sheave show have been helpful. I've done this all before, several times with different boats, and very little concerns me, but very helpful seeing someone else 4 steps ahead of me on a boat I am somewhat unfamiliar with. Making me look closer before launching.
Glad you're finding the videos useful. I think I've got about 30 people who actually bother to watch them, and I've been wondering lately if they're even worth doing. But as long as they're helping someone they're worthwhile.
post #15 of 44 Old 04-26-2019

shorten the platform tubing and remove a couple of the boards so it does not extend out so far from the boat and go sailing. think swim step not sun bathing platform. that platform is going hurt if you slip and fall between the platform and the transom at least the davits are there to pull yourself up when you do fall between them

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #16 of 44 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
shorten the platform tubing and remove a couple of the boards so it does not extend out so far from the boat and go sailing. think swim step not sun bathing platform.
That's an interesting angle on things. I originally wanted it to be a lot shorter, but the fabricator argued that I'd be a happier if it were longer.

Regardless of all that, this is what I currently have. And given the result of my dinghy-raising experiment ... I'm not sure that it would help much being any shorter.
post #17 of 44 Old 04-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Glad you're finding the videos useful. I think I've got about 30 people who actually bother to watch them, and I've been wondering lately if they're even worth doing. But as long as they're helping someone they're worthwhile.
Probably not worth doing. I can't watch the people on Youtube with $1MM Super M's being supported in their adventures by wannabes. I like the real stuff, the people doing it in a $10K boat. But then they go all sex shots and so forth and lose me. The ones that talk too much, or immediately start with "HEY GUYS!", eh. And there's a few that really shouldn't be out there. I figure some of those won't end well. I like that you're straightforward. I just haven't had the time with the T37 to get all cuddly with it yet. I'll get in a 15 hour day on it tomorrow.
post #18 of 44 Old 04-26-2019

Since you will need a boarding ladder to climb onto the platform, why not integrate a folding ladder that will fender the dinghy out as you begin to raise it. You might appreciate a means to keep the dinghy from getting hung up under the platform when things get a little snotty.
post #19 of 44 Old 04-26-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Bill, that platform needs to fold up flat against your transom. Whether you do that by hinging the bottom and "wedging" a support to prevent it from going below horizontal when down, or you use cables or hydraulic tubes (like hatchback or hood supports) may be a harder decision, but as the madam said "Ain't no way that's gonna fit in there".

BTW, some lubberly folks like NOAA insist that boarding ladders be midships, not at the stern, because sterns bounce up and down and occasionally konk skulls. So thinking outside the box and doing something with a platform midships isn't totally crazy either. More expensive, probably. But not crazy.
post #20 of 44 Old 04-26-2019
Dirt Free

ABYC Standard H-41 “Reboarding Means, Ladders Handholds, Rails and Lifelines” requires ladders to be deployable by the person in the water unassisted.

Think about it.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in