What should I do about this swim platform? - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question What should I do about this swim platform?

See attached picture ...

The davits and the swim platform are new, and the other day I finished installing enough things that I tried bringing the dinghy up on the davits for the first time. As you can see from the picture, it got hung up on the swim platform. I left it there to get the picture.

Since this is new to the boat and new to me, I'm pondering if I should make some changes. Obviously, I could stand on the platform and hold the dinghy away while I raised it. Also, I doubt it will give me any trouble when lowering, given the shape of the platform. But this does add some complication to the process of getting the dinghy raised. I'm worried that it's going to be that last little bit of trouble that makes it too difficult to bring onboard if conditions are rough ... or that I will decide to leave it in the water if I'm tired or rushed when I really should raise it on the davits.

One option would be to have the lower section of the swim platform hinged and replace the upper bars with cables so the platform can swing up and out of the way. This would make it easy to raise the dinghy, but now the platform will be a little rickety, might rattle and make noise when I'm trying to sleep, and have moving points that could pinch someone accidentally. Also, it will be work, time and money to have it modified when I'm not even sure it's necessary to do so.

I've already asked a number of people for opinions and there are lots of different ones ... of course.

So ... I'm just fishing for more opinions before I make a final decision. What say you all?
Attached Thumbnails
swimplatform_cropped.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Re: What should I do about this swim platform?

I think any attempt to use the davits in rough conditions would end in the need for a new dink, in this case.
Messing with the platform will weaken it and make it more complex.
The only thing that makes sense to me is to extend the davit arms to keep the dink clear of the platform. It may also have the advantage of moving the dink, when up, far enough from the stern so as to make the swim platform more easily accessible.
I guess someone forgot rule # XX; measure twice, cut once.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

One of the things that I have never liked about IOR hull forms like the Tartan 37 is that the pinched stern makes it hard to carry a dinghy in terms of carrying the weight after and creating a wide enough support to carry the dinghy. The narrow stern also makes it hard to have a decent boarding platform, or even a decent boarding ladder. And while I have huge respect for capta's opinion on anything, I find myself in a different place on this one.

Regardless of the rest of the issues, under no circumstance would I want to have a fixed boarding platform like that on a boat with that hull form. It is too easy for a wave to catch it and cause a broach and unless you really beefed up the transom, it would be too easy to have the platform tear a chunk out of the transom. I would have made the platform hinged at the bottom and used hinged struts to hold it since cable is stretchy and would make the platform too bouncy.

It would be pretty easy to develop a way of locking the platform in the up position against rubber bumpers in a manner that would prevent the platform from making noise while you are underway.

I would not extend the davits. With the severely pinched stern, these boats do not tolerate a lot of weight on the transom, and extending the davit would move the weight of the dinghy further aft and so would further alter the trim of the boat negatively.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (4 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago

T37 is too pretty to have a swim platform...imho
eherlihy likes this.
post #5 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I don't see a boarding ladder, do you not want one?
post #6 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I don't see a boarding ladder, do you not want one?
One disaster at a time.
eherlihy and boatpoker like this.
post #7 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago

If Jeff worries about not having enough flotation aft, won't having the dinghy there solve that problem?
ThereYouAre and Whalerus like this.
post #8 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just a bit more pipe. Flipping short pipes on hinges that prevent the dink from going under the grid Some thought to design the knee action hinges.. If they had a bar across, there's a boarding ladder Extra weight under the fore bunk will hep balance all this structure
post #9 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Extra weight under the fore bunk will hep balance all this structure
Heh ... that's the least of my troubles right now. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that there are several inches of antifouling exposed. The bow of the boat is floating at the boot stripe. I'm pretty sure this is partly because I have my full chain anchor rode in the locker, but all the cockpit lockers are empty because I'm finishing up bolting things and wiring. I.e., hopefully when I stow things in the cockpit lockers as designed the boat will even out. In any event, weight on the stern doesn't seem like it's going to be much of an issue.
post #10 of 44 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
If Jeff worries about not having enough flotation aft, won't having the dinghy there solve that problem?
A dinghy in the air has no flotation effect.
Whalerus likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in