Zinc and Outboard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Zinc and Outboard

I have an outboard in a purpose-built well whose leg remains submerged in Beverly Mass harbor at all times. After 1.5 seasons the single zinc has dissolved entirely. It was not large, perhaps the size of 3 or 4 stacked nickels.

Then, the SS machine screw that secured the zinc seized and sheared when I tried to remove it, so now I have a sheared SS stub need a new zinc solution.

1. Moored 3/8 of a mile from the nearest land-powered marina, what might have caused my zinc to dissolve? Anything on my boat I can repair? It is a simple 12 volt only system with no shore power components.

2. I plan to leave the sheared machine screw alone and attach bigger zincs with newly drilled holes and bolts in a different area of the outboard's leg. Given this engine is an auxilliary that may only run 20 hours per season, is there any real problem attaching zincs most anywhere under the waterline? I want the protection but do not care if it degrades motoring performance by 1/10 of a knot.

Thanks for you thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-27-2019

Re: Zinc and Outboard

Another possibility is a good sized zinc on a stainless steel cable. The cable can have a hook on the opposite end which you hang on some bare metal on the motor. Easily removed when you go sailing.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2019

The zinc is suppose to dissolve away. 1.5 seasons is a long time for a small outboard zinc.get a larger aluminum alloy anode and you can attach anywhere under water. the aluminum will last longer then zinc and will protect the outboard better then zinc. good for salt and brackish water. go with the newer technology and help the environment at the same time

https://www.boatzincs.com/zinc-vs-aluminum-chart.html

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 6 Old 04-28-2019

Sounds like the anode is working and that's a long time for one anode. Personally, I would just try to replace as designed. Drilling holes into the lower gear unit sounds ominous. I suppose you could be sure you don't penetrate the internals, but one never knows if there is an odd passage cast into the leg somewhere. You'd also need to know you were not inadvertently choosing a location that was insulated from other underwater parts, or the anode wouldn't work. I'm sure you'd figure these out, but I'd just do it right.

If you can't figure out how to get the stub out, post a pic and someone will have a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-28-2019

BTW, a larger anode is not necessarily better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2019

Rare to find a motor with only one zinc so it may be time to check the owners manual to vet out the others in the water jacket, etc. Yamaha for example can have a zinc for each cylinder in the head, one on the skeg and another one or two near the mounting bracket.

If the outboard motor is left in the water then the zincs should be checked around 2 to 4 times a year. The zinc does need to come into good direct electrical contact with the metal on the motor when you replace it too so cleaning up any corrosion with a wire brush to reveal clean metal on the motor is a critical step that way too many skip when replacing zincs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in