SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How to make a rolling boom, well..not roll? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329436-how-make-rolling-boom-well-not-roll.html)

NewportNewbie 04-28-2019 10:04 PM

How to make a rolling boom, well..not roll?

I have a Santana 30 and its got a rolling boom on it. I plan on installing a Boomkicker and it says that the rolling Boom is not optimal because it will roll and cause all the weight of the boom to shift to one of the supporting rods. So what the most effective and maybe the best way to stop this rolling boom from rolling? They sell a $50 attachment that holds the boom in place. It looks kinda rigged aso I do not like that idea so much. Some say weld the gooseneck so it cannot roll. Others say drill and insert a pin so it can't roll. Some say on some goosenecks you can tighten a bold and torque it down so it cannot roll. Or I guess you can replace the gooseneck with one that does not roll. Whats the cheapest and most effective and longest lasting way?

pdqaltair 04-29-2019 04:21 PM

Re: How to make a rolling boom, well..not roll?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 2051598948)
I have a Santana 30 and its got a rolling boom on it. I plan on installing a Boomkicker and it says that the rolling Boom is not optimal because it will roll and cause all the weight of the boom to shift to one of the supporting rods. So what the most effective and maybe the best way to stop this rolling boom from rolling? They sell a $50 attachment that holds the boom in place. It looks kinda rigged aso I do not like that idea so much. Some say weld the gooseneck so it cannot roll. Others say drill and insert a pin so it can't roll. Some say on some goosenecks you can tighten a bold and torque it down so it cannot roll. Or I guess you can replace the gooseneck with one that does not roll. Whats the cheapest and most effective and longest lasting way?

Please post a closeup of the goose neck.

NewportNewbie 05-01-2019 05:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the gooseneck.

Attachment 123076Attachment 123074

SchockT 05-01-2019 02:59 PM

I think your first step would be to take the end of the boom off and see what it is like inside. The stainless fitting that swivels may be held in place with a nut, and you may be able to just torque it down to lock it in place.

Of course looking at the corrosion around the screws, it could be a challenge to get them out without stripping them. They probably have not been removed since 1973!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

dixiedawg 05-04-2019 01:07 PM

What about sliding goosenecks?

I'm facing the same rolling-to-fixed question on our Albin Vega 27.

NewportNewbie 05-05-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 2051599524)
I think your first step would be to take the end of the boom off and see what it is like inside. The stainless fitting that swivels may be held in place with a nut, and you may be able to just torque it down to lock it in place.

Of course looking at the corrosion around the screws, it could be a challenge to get them out without stripping them. They probably have not been removed since 1973!

The boat is at the shipyard getting the bottom paint done...I will look into it next week when I get the boat back.

NewportNewbie 06-18-2019 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. Got the boomkicker ready to install and i got those 4 corroded screws out (love the propane torch!). Here is the gooseneck. Doesnt look like there is any way to keep it fixed. So looks like my optons may be to weld it in the fixed position? JB Weld? Maybe replace this with a fixed non rotating gooseneck?

Attachment 123700

SchockT 06-19-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 2051609818)
Ok. Got the boomkicker ready to install and i got those 4 corroded screws out (love the propane torch!). Here is the gooseneck. Doesnt look like there is any way to keep it fixed. So looks like my optons may be to weld it in the fixed position? JB Weld? Maybe replace this with a fixed non rotating gooseneck?

Attachment 123700

More than likely you will be fine leaving it the way it is. The boomkicker will prevent the boom from rotating.

If you really want to make it solid, you could pull the cutter pin, remove the fitting and have a machine shop thread the shaft to accept a nut. Then you could just torque it up so it doesnt rotate.

Don't forget to use NeverSeize on the screws when you put the boom back together so you dont need a torch next time!

NewportNewbie 06-19-2019 12:03 PM

Thanks. That sounds like the most elegant option. The only reason im so adamant about it is the guys at Boomkicker say that over time the rotation of it can snap the boomkicker fittings. Depending on yhe point of sail and the location of the boom i can see it rotating since the boomkicker is a rod on each side of the boom which can flex independently unlike a solid vang that cannot.