Is tinned boat wire necessary? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Re: Is tinned boat wire necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I respect boatpoker's opinion on these matters and I'm staying out of the debate. However, in this case, I think his photos are very misleading; those awful connections would not be any better if tinned wire had been used.
The point I was trying to make was that corrosion creeps. It will creep and do more damage to non-tinned than tinned.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don't see anything in those pictures that has anything to do with the wire itself, and no sign of wire corrosion - or even what type of wire is being used. They really don't have anything to do with the tin/non tin discussion.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't see anything in those pictures that has anything to do with the wire itself, and no sign of wire corrosion - or even what type of wire is being used. They really don't have anything to do with the tin/non tin discussion.

Mark
Wow, I thought my point was simple and clear. I guess not.
You win.
Minnewaska likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #14 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

When I rewired my old boat a 74 Ericson. I found so much corrosion in the old wires. So when i did the rewire I did everything up the highest standard I could, knowing the wiring would outlive the boat. It seems the real cost of a rewiring job is in the labor whether you are paying someone to do it or not paying yourself to do it. Why take any shortcuts?
CVAT and Minnesail like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
... In the US, there really isn't many choices for suitable marine untinned wire. I think that is why it gets such a bad rap - people are using unsuitable or cheap wire and not differentiating between applications. I suspect the costs are similar for good untinned wire and tinned wire.

Mark
Stranded THHN wire is the most common industrial wire in the US and is stocked by Home Depot, Lowes, and every electrical supply house. It is what is pulled through conduit. People may not know to look for it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...5858/203401697

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #16 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Stranded THHN wire is the most common industrial wire in the US and is stocked by Home Depot, Lowes, and every electrical supply house. It is what is pulled through conduit. People may not know to look for it.

ABYC standards cover much more than what has been discussed here, wire type, strand size, oil resistance of the insulation, temperature rating and voltage loss among others. I don't know if Home Depot conductors would meet those requirements.

Of course many have no use for ABYC Standards. To each his own.

post #17 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

The cover of wire is osmotic. If you pass the wire from the bilge, water will osmotically pass to the wire and cause crevice corrosion. It is best to use tinned wire.
post #18 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

Here is HD's price for 100' of THHN - $28.37: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...5884/204868304

Here is 100' of tinned marine wire - $27.50: 12 AWG Primary Wire Marine Grade Tinned Copper Black 100 ft

Going with untinned wire in the US is not for cost reasons. Outside the US, it most likely is. I suspect anyone using untinned wire in the US, and having problems with it, is using cheaper stuff than THHN.

Mark

post #19 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
The cover of wire is osmotic. If you pass the wire from the bilge, water will osmotically pass to the wire and cause crevice corrosion. It is best to use tinned wire.
I'm pretty sure this is not true. At least not on less than glacial time scales. Likely, any issue with water will be one of wicking from a penetration, and not osmosis. Could you point to a reference regarding this? If osmosis and crevice corrosion is a concern with marine wire, tinned wire won't prevent it.

Mark

post #20 of 58 Old 3 Weeks Ago

My 2006 Yanmar wiring harness has untinned wire.

What about the engine in your boat?

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in