SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Is tinned boat wire necessary? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329450-tinned-boat-wire-necessary.html)

MarkofSeaLife 04-30-2019 09:00 AM

Re: Is tinned boat wire necessary?

Re-ran a bit of wire yesterday. Had the choice in my cupboard of tinned or untinned.

The run was from the bow nav lights through the anchor locker and into the forrard head connecting under the sink.

I went tinned :grin :grin :grin

RegisteredUser 04-30-2019 09:04 AM

Id rather repair sewer lines than run wiring in a boat

Don L 04-30-2019 09:06 AM

And there there's the cruisers. When you need to replace a wire you have to use what is available. But I've personally never had to replace a wire, just a fitting on it. Unfortunately replacing a terminal lots of times becomes splicing in a new section of wire. I bet the cost of all the spare wire on the boat in my electrical bag is like $50. But the cost of the wire terminals etc. in the bag is at least $300.

Now I do run wires for new equipment on the boat. I think I tend to get that wire from a marine store just because there's one near me when I decide to do it. I also tend to oversize the wire.

SanderO 04-30-2019 09:57 AM

My OEM wiring is not tinned as the boat was made in Holland. Some of the smaller gauges show corrosion... I discover this when I might want to replace a pump for example. So I simply change the wire to tinned... especially since there is not enough length to cut back to the shiny non corroded wire. I maintain several spools in different gauges and colors for this purpose. The entire main 12v wiring from the batts to the busses was all changed to tinned wiring when I upgraded the batteries.

I assume that corroded wire connections offer more resistance/less current or lower voltage will pass. Most of the loads are low enough that there is no danger of fire from heat. But 110v is another story.

colemj 04-30-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpeer (Post 2051599242)
My 2006 Yanmar wiring harness has untinned wire.

What about the engine in your boat?

As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of things on boats with untinned wire. I just replaced a brand-name bilge pump, a brand-name switch, and installed an expensive brand-name shower sump pump, and a waste pump. All of these are in wet places, and none of them came with tinned wire. In these cases, using tinned wire runs to them doesn't help much. Put the money into quality connectors and adhesive heat shrink instead.

Mark

colemj 04-30-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051599246)
Id rather repair sewer lines than run wiring in a boat

Having done both of these things in the past week, I disagree. Personal preference, of course.

Mark

Captain Canuck 04-30-2019 11:50 AM

I've recently ripped out a significant percentage of the wiring in my boat for the electric motor conversion. Not a bit of it was tinned. However, some of it was so well wrapped that even at 25 years of age in a marine environment it still was free of damage, and my multimeter showed it was still well within spec.

The worst cables were corroded, but not so badly that they failed to work. I didn't find a single cable that wasn't well crimped. Whoever was in charge of wiring my Hunter originally definitely had an eye for detail.

boatpoker 04-30-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck (Post 2051599284)
my multimeter showed it was still well within spec.

How are you checking that with a multi-meter ?

If you are checking resistance by ohms, one intact strand can show 0.0ohms.

Minnesail 04-30-2019 12:43 PM

My boat is only 22í and doesnít have a lot of systems, so there insít much wiring and the runs are short. The cost of the wire is negligible compared to the cost of fittings and the time consumed, so Iíve been using oversized tinned wire for everything Iíve replaced. Iím sure the wiring will outlive the boat, but thatís the case with most of the repairs Iíve done (like a bronze seacock on a 22í boat that will never see saltwater).

pdqaltair 04-30-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2051599206)
ABYC standards cover much more than what has been discussed here, wire type, strand size, oil resistance of the insulation, temperature rating and voltage loss among others. I don't know if Home Depot conductors would meet those requirements.

Of course many have no use for ABYC Standards. To each his own.

Home Depot standards? Oh, for heavens sake. I'm guessing you ave no use for UL or ISO.

This is industrial wire from Southwire, which meets UL and ISO standards. It carries a second jacket to protect it from damage during pulling, is extremely oil resistant and heat resistant, and is used in refinery and steel mill applications you can't imagine.

This is apparently outside of your experience. It is common on ships.