Is tinned boat wire necessary? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Dock
Re: Is tinned boat wire necessary?

Re-ran a bit of wire yesterday. Had the choice in my cupboard of tinned or untinned.

The run was from the bow nav lights through the anchor locker and into the forrard head connecting under the sink.

I went tinned
CVAT and elliowb like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Id rather repair sewer lines than run wiring in a boat
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #23 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
bell ringer

And there there's the cruisers. When you need to replace a wire you have to use what is available. But I've personally never had to replace a wire, just a fitting on it. Unfortunately replacing a terminal lots of times becomes splicing in a new section of wire. I bet the cost of all the spare wire on the boat in my electrical bag is like $50. But the cost of the wire terminals etc. in the bag is at least $300.

Now I do run wires for new equipment on the boat. I think I tend to get that wire from a marine store just because there's one near me when I decide to do it. I also tend to oversize the wire.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

My OEM wiring is not tinned as the boat was made in Holland. Some of the smaller gauges show corrosion... I discover this when I might want to replace a pump for example. So I simply change the wire to tinned... especially since there is not enough length to cut back to the shiny non corroded wire. I maintain several spools in different gauges and colors for this purpose. The entire main 12v wiring from the batts to the busses was all changed to tinned wiring when I upgraded the batteries.

I assume that corroded wire connections offer more resistance/less current or lower voltage will pass. Most of the loads are low enough that there is no danger of fire from heat. But 110v is another story.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #25 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
My 2006 Yanmar wiring harness has untinned wire.

What about the engine in your boat?
As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of things on boats with untinned wire. I just replaced a brand-name bilge pump, a brand-name switch, and installed an expensive brand-name shower sump pump, and a waste pump. All of these are in wet places, and none of them came with tinned wire. In these cases, using tinned wire runs to them doesn't help much. Put the money into quality connectors and adhesive heat shrink instead.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #26 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Id rather repair sewer lines than run wiring in a boat
Having done both of these things in the past week, I disagree. Personal preference, of course.

Mark
jblumhorst and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #27 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

I've recently ripped out a significant percentage of the wiring in my boat for the electric motor conversion. Not a bit of it was tinned. However, some of it was so well wrapped that even at 25 years of age in a marine environment it still was free of damage, and my multimeter showed it was still well within spec.

The worst cables were corroded, but not so badly that they failed to work. I didn't find a single cable that wasn't well crimped. Whoever was in charge of wiring my Hunter originally definitely had an eye for detail.
post #28 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
my multimeter showed it was still well within spec.
How are you checking that with a multi-meter ?

If you are checking resistance by ohms, one intact strand can show 0.0ohms.
CVAT likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #29 of 58 Old 04-30-2019 Thread Starter

My boat is only 22í and doesnít have a lot of systems, so there insít much wiring and the runs are short. The cost of the wire is negligible compared to the cost of fittings and the time consumed, so Iíve been using oversized tinned wire for everything Iíve replaced. Iím sure the wiring will outlive the boat, but thatís the case with most of the repairs Iíve done (like a bronze seacock on a 22í boat that will never see saltwater).
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #30 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
ABYC standards cover much more than what has been discussed here, wire type, strand size, oil resistance of the insulation, temperature rating and voltage loss among others. I don't know if Home Depot conductors would meet those requirements.

Of course many have no use for ABYC Standards. To each his own.
Home Depot standards? Oh, for heavens sake. I'm guessing you ave no use for UL or ISO.

This is industrial wire from Southwire, which meets UL and ISO standards. It carries a second jacket to protect it from damage during pulling, is extremely oil resistant and heat resistant, and is used in refinery and steel mill applications you can't imagine.

This is apparently outside of your experience. It is common on ships.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in