Is tinned boat wire necessary? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Re: Is tinned boat wire necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
... I suspect anyone using untinned wire in the US, and having problems with it, is using cheaper stuff than THHN.

Mark
That's the thing. The article ONLY referenced THHN, and the title was misleading. I've seen lamp cord and finely stranded non-tinned wire that was chewed up.

By the way, tinned is not perfect. I should have taken pictures. I was working in a refinery a few weeks ago, opened and old instrument (mercury switch) and found the tinned (marine) wire leads had been eaten back 2 inches by fumes that had leaked past a failed seal. The wire and the insulation were not damamged, they were gone. The THHN wire they were attached to with a wire nuts was still fine and I attached new instruments. It seems the fine strands have a lot more surface area and couldn't take it. I have never seen THHN wire fail in that way. And this is why the USCG approves it. But not just any wire.

And as you pointed out, it's not cheaper. You pay for quality.

Just sayin'.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

I recently did a lot of work in my son's bilge. He has a Mako 22' sport boat. I rewired the bilge pump and the aerator pumps (for the bait wells). The untinned wire showed a lot of discoloration. I did the re-wiring with tinned wire. I better get a lot of fresh fish!! (Yes, my son is very generous!!)
post #33 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Home Depot standards? Oh, for heavens sake. I'm guessing you ave no use for UL or ISO.

This is industrial wire from Southwire, which meets UL and ISO standards. It carries a second jacket to protect it from damage during pulling, is extremely oil resistant and heat resistant, and is used in refinery and steel mill applications you can't imagine.

This is apparently outside of your experience. It is common on ships.
Actually ABYC Standards are based on NEMA, ANS, NFPA, SAE and UL. These are mentioned right in their standard.
The difference is that ABYC uses the marine version of those Standards. Now if you can convince me that Home Depot also uses the marine versions I'll happily buy my conductors there.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #34 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
How are you checking that with a multi-meter ?

If you are checking resistance by ohms, one intact strand can show 0.0ohms.
My Multi has a clamp. I ran power through the 00 cable to see if it was still good after the continuity test. The input amperage matched what the multi was telling me right up to the cut-off of 180A, so I assume the cable is still good.

Now that I think about it, I should have done a temperature test at the same time to make sure the cable wasn't heating up under load. I'll check that when I finish wiring the batteries into the boat.
post #35 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Home Depot standards? Oh, for heavens sake. I'm guessing you ave no use for UL or ISO.....
Having a bad day? BoatPoker said "I don't know if Home Depot conductors would meet those requirements." He did not say they didn't.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
I have never seen THHN wire fail in that way. And this is why the USCG approves it. But not just any wire.

And as you pointed out, it's not cheaper. You pay for quality.

Just sayin'.
Ok, Your post #3 proves you have never read the ABYC Standards .... You stated they required tinned wire..... they don't

This post proves you have not read the US Regulations as they are laid out in Code of Federal Regulations Title 33 and 46 not in any USCG regulations. Neither these regulations nor USCG "approves" any wire.

If you have a citation that states otherwise please show it.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #37 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
bell ringer

It's 1 leg ass kicking contest time. Got get them fellas.
boatpoker likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #38 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
It's 1 leg ass kicking contest time. Got get them fellas.
Just the Facts Mam.

post #39 of 58 Old 04-30-2019
bell ringer

This is the City.....................

even for me this is a old one

and before the mods get into it (you hear me Mark) it's about being stiff, like a wire, and that's on topic

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #40 of 58 Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Ok, Your post #3 proves you have never read the ABYC Standards .... You stated they required tinned wire..... they don't

This post proves you have not read the US Regulations as they are laid out in Code of Federal Regulations Title 33 and 46 not in any USCG regulations. Neither these regulations nor USCG "approves" any wire.

If you have a citation that states otherwise please show it.
The wire I posted is dual rated as THHN/THWN and is listed as an acceptable classification in 183.430.

I simply responded to the OP's question and am not interesting in a pissing contest.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in