Repowering- What to do with Old Engine? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Repowering- What to do with Old Engine?

I'm in the process of trading out my Vetus 3.10 for a Beta 20. When an old engine is removed, what does the yard typically do with them? Is there a disposal fee, or do they have a refurbishing pipeline that they send it through?

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Repowering- What to do with Old Engine?

Really depends on the condition of an engine, the number of them in service and whether the yard has the storage to keep the good parts. If the engine was still running and had some life left in it, they will probably sell it to someone who can't afford a rebuild. If it's a popular engine there may be a core value from a rebuilder. If there's a hole through the block or a broken crank, they might pull off the still good parts and sell them. For the most part, if the engine is trashed, would bet it just goes in the dumpster.

Unless they are paying you for the old engine and/or you give up ownership to the yard, the engine should still be yours to do what you want with it. If it's trashed, hauling it to a recycling facility may exceed the value, however. Advertising here, Ebay, or Craig's List in a major boating area should get you some interest in buying anything of value off the engine or the whole engine.
olson34 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Dock

The yard will do everything to steal your old engine.

Likely you did not need a new engine but were cohearsed by lies or circumstance to buy a new one.

They make more money selling & installing a new engine that fixing your old one.

So now you have a nicely built engine that the yard tells you is scrap but they will take off your hands.
They will then paint it up and sell it for thousands.

Thousands.

And give you nothing for it.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (1 Week Ago)

post #4 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

When I converted to Electric Propulsion I sold my dead Westerbeke 27 engine to a fellow who purchased the same model boat that had sunk and he was bringing back to life. Sold the engine for $500 and transmission for $700. He did the rebuild himself spent $3,500 in parts and ran it for two years and then he replaced it.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

It really depends. If it was still running or could be easily made to run, it has value. If it was shot, it could cost money to junk it. Stripping and selling parts is a crap shoot. If you retain the motor to sell yourself, you’ll have to store it for an indefinite period of time, deal with negotiating a sale, then deal with shipping or other form of delivery.

In any event, it’s your motor, so you should remain in control of its destiny. Does you estimate from the yard specify what happens to it, ie the yard disposes.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

If it is a runner video it starting and running. This makes it MUCH easier to sell.

Stick it on EBAY.
post #7 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Question Re: Repowering- What to do with Old Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
When I converted to Electric Propulsion I sold my dead Westerbeke 27 engine to a fellow who purchased the same model boat that had sunk and he was bringing back to life. Sold the engine for $500 and transmission for $700. He did the rebuild himself spent $3,500 in parts and ran it for two years and then he replaced it.
Not identical of course, but similar experience for us last year. I gave away a decent-running Universal 23 hp diesel engine complete. I shopped it around a little and could get $1K for it, but thought it over and just gave to a friend who is rebuilding it to repower an older boat with a long-in-the-tooth Universal two cylinder engine.

In my situation, the panel had no value and the harness was overdue for replacement, the engine had quite a bit of blow-by, and with 2200 hours the original Hurth 50 trans was a huge question mark.

Our new Beta 25 was almost $10K with larger panel and upgrade alternator.
Everyone has a different calculation for making this work.
I talked to several experienced diesel mechanics and decided that IF I took out the original drivetrain and rebuilt and replaced everything that needed work, I would be out 5 or 6K, and still have an "old" engine.

The new Beta is SO much more quiet and the vibration is much less! I repeat: it's Quiet.

Obviously we are in this for the 'long haul' so we do expect to amortize out the expense in reliability at the least. I also figure that the Beta is a good gamble because our moorage has quite a large number of similar engine replacements in the last ten years.
(There have been some other brands installed that proved to be a lot less reliable, but that's a subject for a different thread. Experienced wrench turners can likely guess what those are......)
eherlihy likes this.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #8 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Experienced wrench turners can likely guess what those are......)
What else did that 10K include if you don't mind mentioning?

Engine
Transmission
shaft
prop
fuel tank
control panel
shifter and throttle
Remove old engine
Prep engine bed

Did you do a lot of the work yourself?

OK spill what happened to the other engine brand install, and what brand was it?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #9 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Dave,

T37Chef repowered with a Beta for his Tartan 37 or around that amount and was very happy with the Beta

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #10 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago

I priced a 25 beta a few years ago...as a what if.
Didnt need it but the straight answer then was 10k with tranny.
Extras...are extra.
It seems like beta has had good success in repowers. Their attempts at plug n play replacements are well received and a big reason for that success...imo.
Done right...youre probably buying the last drivetrain you will buy...for your lifetime

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in