Bilge pump overboard discharge - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-05-2019 Thread Starter

Bilge pump overboard discharge

Just wondering if anyone has tied in their bilge pump and deck drains into the engine exhaust discharge? I know of a couple of cases where it has been done to clean up a lot of thru hulls and keep water stains off the hull. Has anyone done it and if so could you provide some details. Obviously you don't want the engine discharge water going back to the bilge but the idea does have some merit provided it can be done safely.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Re: Bilge pump overboard discharge

Another concern would be backfilling the exhaust, under certain heeling and pitching conditions. Backfilling the exhaust could allow water into the cylinders. Dedicated makes more sense to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Another concern would be backfilling the exhaust, under certain heeling and pitching conditions. Backfilling the exhaust could allow water into the cylinders. Dedicated makes more sense to me.
That makes no sense... If the engine exhaust is not back filling as you write... why would adding a Y and bilge water cause back filling?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Much would depend on the angle of the plumbing .Does the engine exhaust runs good downhill from high point Well above wl. Bilge T'd in as close to thru hull as possible so you don't fill the hull with fumes. As I am big proponent of shut off valve at the transom to prevent engine flooding in some sailing conditions I wonder where the bilge pump would put it!!
post #5 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

When you are done doing that I have a wheel that needs re inventing. all that work to eliminate one small above the waterline fitting?
PhilCarlson and elliowb like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Makes no sense to me....I know no one whose boat is set up this way

Engine discharge comes from the raw water pump....now you want to connect the bilge pump into that. Suppose the engine is already running...arenít you giving the engine water a second outlet into the bilge as well as the normal discharge thru Hull. Also suppose both are running at the same time...( bildge and engine pump) . Which one wins getting its water discharged through the same opening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
That makes no sense... If the engine exhaust is not back filling as you write... why would adding a Y and bilge water cause back filling?
You meant to say that you canít make sense of it. It does make sense.

When the engine is running and pumping water, there is positive pressure pushing the raw water out the exhaust. Havenít you ever heard of flooding an engine with raw water, if you crank too long and she doesnít start? The raw water can back up the exhaust in some engine geometries.

The OPs idea would be putting water into the exhaust at some point downstream, which I presume they would be wise enough to consider a spot that drains by gravity. I was trying to point out that whatís downhill at the slip isnít always downhill. If the bilge pump is evacuating water, while underway without the engine running, Iím not sure Iíd be convinced where it was going.
fallard likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You meant to say that you canít make sense of it. It does make sense.

When the engine is running and pumping water, there is positive pressure pushing the raw water out the exhaust. Havenít you ever heard of flooding an engine with raw water, if you crank too long and she doesnít start? The raw water can back up the exhaust in some engine geometries.

The OPs idea would be putting water into the exhaust at some point downstream, which I presume they would be wise enough to consider a spot that drains by gravity. I was trying to point out that whatís downhill at the slip isnít always downhill. If the bilge pump is evacuating water, while underway without the engine running, Iím not sure Iíd be convinced where it was going.
It depends on the geometry of course. I assumed the engine exhaust loops up well above the water line even if heeled.... my does. Bilge hose should as well... mine does.

I was unaware of sucking water in by cranking the engine. Learn something new every day!
Minnewaska likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

Each bilge pump hose exit needs to have its own thru hull. Any future survey will look for this.
While not all of the requirements found in a survey might seem equally applicable in the Real World, this is one that Does.

If you ever get involved in a potential sinking situation, you Will want All of the dewatering devices to work right on the first try. (!)
(I have been a "first responder" to a near sinking of a large sailboat and know that it takes everything on the boat and an additional gasoline pump on the dock to completely reverse the down flooding...)

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Last edited by olson34; 05-05-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-05-2019

When a motor floods from cranking it over, I thought it was because the impeller is pushing water in but there is no exhaust force to get rid of it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in