SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Magma grill repair (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329522-magma-grill-repair.html)

CLOSECALL 05-05-2019 09:48 PM

Magma grill repair

I have an older model grill and it looks like the regulator is toast. No gas is getting through. The regulators magna sells today so not for the old model century tube.

Any suggestions how to fix this thing?

dadio917 05-06-2019 12:31 AM

Re: Magma grill repair

every used boat chandlery I've been in has magma grills lying around with rusted out bases or grills. Maybe you can get a regulator off one.

I've come to just accept replacing the whole bbq every 5 years and avoid the dealing with it. got enough other maintenance issues. I wait for a sale.

boatpoker 05-06-2019 01:02 AM

Cheap stainless steel grill from Walmart. $59 and has lasted three years. Thats two years longer than the Magna junk and works twice as good. Hell even the igniter works after 3 yrs.

Terry L 05-06-2019 12:01 PM

I was having a problem with my Magma valve/regulator where it was allowing some gas to flow, but not enough to cook with. I ended up taking the little cover off the knob to find a screw that allowed me to adjust the gas flow. I donít know if this will help you, but it is certainly worth a shot.

Terry

CLOSECALL 05-06-2019 12:44 PM

Thanks, Terry. That's the kind of help i am looking for. This morning I took to tapping the housing with a hammer and hit the innards with a shot of wd40. Seems to be working better now.

I called Magma this morning and their recommendation was that I invest 100.00 into this piece of equipment that they say was discontinued 15 years ago. My recommendation was that they provide me a free upgrade since the rest of the thing is in very good condition and it was their decision to change designs. We did not come to agreement.

I may still end up at walmart.

SchockT 05-06-2019 01:05 PM

Is there something special about the regulator? Not likely. You could probably get a generic regulator from a BBQ shop pretty cheap.

Spraying WD40 into the regulator was probably not the best idea as it could attack the rubber components.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

CLOSECALL 05-06-2019 01:12 PM

There is such a thing as a BBQ shop?