Polyurethane foam insulation - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Re: Polyurethane foam insulation

When applying more than one coat of the Interprotect, alternating coats of white and gray makes finding holidays much easier.
Pasadena likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Yes, I plan to smooth the surface with epoxy, then 5 coats of interprotect 2000E then 3 coats of interlux antifouling.

That part I can do, it doesn't worry me too much. But I think, I would want to try to get as much cabin foam out as I can, to at least minimize the hazard.

I am asking the owner about the exact type of foam used to do further research. It is Polyurethane, but maybe there is a version with retardant that I don't know.
Fire retardant treatments for PU does exist, but usually only improve (slightly) the ignition and flame spread properties. Once involved in a fire it does little. Don't quote me on this since I haven't studied furniture fires in a little while, but as far as I know the improvements are pretty minor. The retardants used also contain bromines or other toxic chemicals so now the fire effluents are even worse (probably matters little since you'd likely be dead if you inhale significant smoke in a boat anyway). As you said polymers also release HCN gas which can increase CO uptake and knock you unconscious at low concentrations, much lower than for CO. Again if you breathe enough that this is an issue it might be too late anyway, though not always. In fire investigations we do look at HCN concentrations in victims.
Pasadena likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandium View Post
Fire retardant treatments for PU does exist, but usually only improve (slightly) the ignition and flame spread properties. Once involved in a fire it does little. Don't quote me on this since I haven't studied furniture fires in a little while, but as far as I know the improvements are pretty minor. The retardants used also contain bromines or other toxic chemicals so now the fire effluents are even worse (probably matters little since you'd likely be dead if you inhale significant smoke in a boat anyway). As you said polymers also release HCN gas which can increase CO uptake and knock you unconscious at low concentrations, much lower than for CO. Again if you breathe enough that this is an issue it might be too late anyway, though not always. In fire investigations we do look at HCN concentrations in victims.
Thank you Scandium, the foam used was Touch and Foam and is described as CCMC Listed, Class 1 fire resistance. Do you have information on its safety?

post #14 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Thank you Scandium, the foam used was Touch and Foam and is described as CCMC Listed, Class 1 fire resistance. Do you have information on its safety?
Sorry I'm not terribly knowledgeable about fire testing of products so I don't know about that one. It appears that refers to classifications that allows exposed installations in attics and crawl spaces, without an ignition barrier. How safe does that make it in a boat? Can't say, unfortunately. It does sound like this is not the intended use of the product (if it's exposed on the inside walls of the boat?), but how much that increases you hazard I don't know. The manufacturer claims it will "self-extinguishing when flame is removed", but without knowing what kind of flame that means little. I suppose you could always call Touch 'n Seal/dab and ask what they think about this install. It does sound a bit strange..

It appears that Touch n Seal and Touch n Foam are two different products. Foam is the stuff you spray around windows and should not be used to insulate walls. Seal is for insulating attics, and is the fire rated one. I assume that's what the owners used.

Would I buy the boat? Not sure. It's well insulated at least The foam is claimed to be safe. I'd definitely get some smoke alarms, and be extra careful with ignition sources. (check your wiring if it runs behind/inside the foam!)
post #15 of 21 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry I'm not terribly knowledgeable about fire testing of products so I don't know about that one. It appears that refers to classifications that allows exposed installations in attics and crawl spaces, without an ignition barrier. How safe does that make it in a boat? Can't say, unfortunately. It does sound like this is not the intended use of the product (if it's exposed on the inside walls of the boat?), but how much that increases you hazard I don't know. The manufacturer claims it will "self-extinguishing when flame is removed", but without knowing what kind of flame that means little. I suppose you could always call Touch 'n Seal/dab and ask what they think about this install. It does sound a bit strange..

It appears that Touch ‘n Seal and Touch ‘n Foam are two different products. Foam is the stuff you spray around windows and should not be used to insulate walls. Seal is for insulating attics, and is the fire rated one. I assume that's what the owners used.

Would I buy the boat? Not sure. It's well insulated at least The foam is claimed to be safe. I'd definitely get some smoke alarms, and be extra careful with ignition sources. (check your wiring if it runs behind/inside the foam!)
Thank you very much Scandium, It's a great idea to contact the manufacturing company. I think that regardless of is safety, I should try to remove as much as I can from all the accessible areas. It is not all over the boat and the most difficult area would be the V Berth, which has no wiring through as far as I can tell, except maybe for the pilot lights in front. I need to check that.
post #16 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Thank you very much Scandium, It's a great idea to contact the manufacturing company. I think that regardless of is safety, I should try to remove as much as I can from all the accessible areas. It is not all over the boat and the most difficult area would be the V Berth, which has no wiring through as far as I can tell, except maybe for the pilot lights in front. I need to check that.
If you do remove some put a lighter, or blowtorch, to it and see how well it burns If it really is non-combustible under normal circumstances maybe you'll want to keep it. If it bursts into flame with thick black smoke maybe not..
Pasadena likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 05-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
If you do remove some put a lighter, or blowtorch, to it and see how well it burns If it really is non-combustible under normal circumstances maybe you'll want to keep it. If it bursts into flame with thick black smoke maybe not..
Lol, yes I was going to do that, is pretty easy to cut out a piece. I just wrote to touch and foam too, to ask about the fire risk. I doubled check the product and it's the sealant variety.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Lol, yes I was going to do that, is pretty easy to cut out a piece. I just wrote to touch and foam too, to ask about the fire risk. I doubled check the product and it's the sealant variety.
Great, please let us know what they say.
As mentioned it was my sense that the fire rating test was for attics and non-occupied spaces. Where the code assume people, and hence many ignition sources, don't go regularly (not to say there aren't any). So I'd guess the manufacturer says this is a non-approved install, but who knows.

edit: and if you want to help the field of fire science (and my job) also post the result of your ignition test

Last edited by Scandium; 05-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-08-2019

Insulation rated OK for return air plenums are much less hazardous.

I'd want to get more info on the firm did the job, is that application pretty common, at least mainstream, etc,

in what country was the work performed? Did insurance know about it?

If all that passes the smell test, likely no need to become an expert yourself, just exercising a bit extra caution probably more than makes up for it.
Pasadena likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-08-2019
Dirt Free

I have no idea about the flame properties of this foam however I do have significant experience in marine fire investigation. There are few things more toxic and harder to extinguish than burning polyester resin. If your boat catches fire and you can't get it out in two minutes ...... get off the boat, foam or no foam.
john61ct and Pasadena like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
john61ct (05-09-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in