Fiberglass checks - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Fiberglass checks

I donít see any problems in your photos. Unlikely that your bottom was sandblasted, as that would be too aggressive. Probably soda or walnut shells were used. The blush you are seeing is probably residue from the original bottom paint, which is what I saw when my bottom was walnut shell blasted. I used a palm sander with 80 grit paper to easily remove the residue to get down to the white gel coat. After washing the bottom, I then used an epoxy fairing compound to fill the pinholes.

Those pinholes were predicted by the bottom blasting crew, who said they are expected after the blasting operation with any boat.

Once the fairing layer was applied and sanded, it was time to apply barrier coats (4 layers of Interlux 2000). My boat had vinylester gelcoat, so it wasnít really necessary, but made me feel good. Besides, the Interlux 2000 makes an excellent prime coat for the ablative bottom paint I then applied.

Bottom line: I donít see a problem, based on your photos. Also, the hard work on your bottom has been done and the remaining work is well within the capabilities of a do-it-yourselver.
Pasadena likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
I donít see any problems in your photos. Unlikely that your bottom was sandblasted, as that would be too aggressive. Probably soda or walnut shells were used. The blush you are seeing is probably residue from the original bottom paint, which is what I saw when my bottom was walnut shell blasted. I used a palm sander with 80 grit paper to easily remove the residue to get down to the white gel coat. After washing the bottom, I then used an epoxy fairing compound to fill the pinholes.

Those pinholes were predicted by the bottom blasting crew, who said they are expected after the blasting operation with any boat.

Once the fairing layer was applied and sanded, it was time to apply barrier coats (4 layers of Interlux 2000). My boat had vinylester gelcoat, so it wasnít really necessary, but made me feel good. Besides, the Interlux 2000 makes an excellent prime coat for the ablative bottom paint I then applied.

Bottom line: I donít see a problem, based on your photos. Also, the hard work on your bottom has been done and the remaining work is well within the capabilities of a do-it-yourselver.
This sounds fantastic, thank you fallard. Great information to have when I see the owner again and very reassuring.
post #13 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
This sounds fantastic, thank you fallard. Great information to have when I see the owner again and very reassuring.
Please be aware that your photos provided limited information and that there may be other issues with your bottom that a professional assessment may uncover. Having someone knowledgeable to sound the hull by tapping it all over would be the first step. A good surveyor would do this along with a moisture check.

BTW, “sandblasting” alone does not fix an actual blister problem, but does provide a better view of the hull condition.

Last edited by fallard; 1 Week Ago at 02:29 AM. Reason: Added info

post #14 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago

Pasadena, be careful you don't just hear what you want to hear. Fallard didn't say that hull was fine, only that it might be. We both said we can't see blistering in those photographs. It may be there, if you think you saw it. I'd need to see a close up pic of what you believe is a blister.

I thought this was your boat, but take it you are shopping. Try not to buy a project boat, but redoing a bottom is not all that big a deal. Just factor the cost into the price. Not your cost, but the cost to have it done properly. Then, if you do it yourself, that's fine, but the value of the boat is based on commercial repair costs.
Pasadena likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Please be aware that your photos provided limited information and that there may be other issues with your bottom that a professional assessment may uncover. Having someone knowledgeable to sound the hull by tapping it all over would be the first step. A good surveyor would do this along with a moisture check.

BTW, “sandblasting” alone does not fix an actual blister problem, but does provide a better view of the hull condition.
Absolutely, I am going with someone for a second opinion. I haven't seen the blistering myself yet. The owner told us that there was some and decided to do the bottom as a preventive measure but then bought another boat.

Last edited by Pasadena; 1 Week Ago at 12:10 PM.
post #16 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Pasadena, be careful you don't just hear what you want to hear. Fallard didn't say that hull was fine, only that it might be. We both said we can't see blistering in those photographs. It may be there, if you think you saw it. I'd need to see a close up pic of what you believe is a blister.

I thought this was your boat, but take it you are shopping. Try not to buy a project boat, but redoing a bottom is not all that big a deal. Just factor the cost into the price. Not your cost, but the cost to have it done properly. Then, if you do it yourself, that's fine, but the value of the boat is based on commercial repair costs.
Yes, we are trying to be as objective as we can. But this boat has everything we were looking for, so it's easy to be bias and over optimistic.

Everything checks so far. It has work to be done, but it's similar on all the boats that we have seen, unless you look the other way. The boats we are looking at are all about 40 years old. The fleet is getting old, so are we if we keep looking. We want to sail this summer, hopefully in the water not on the dock ))

Last edited by Pasadena; 1 Week Ago at 12:19 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago

I am currently media blasting my hull and noticed the same thing. Had one of the local boatyard guys come over and fed him beer to take a look at it. He dug through several of them with and awl and flashlight to make sure they weren't in to the layup and told me basically what was said above. Once the hull has been blasted, then sanded to gelcoat, apply a coat of primer to fill everything, sand it smooth, fair any that weren't completely filled, then add several base coats.
Attached Thumbnails
20190430_191339_1557595210777.jpg  
post #18 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Pasadena-
Look on YouTube for Sail Life Athena. Athena is the boat he's rebuilding, and Mads stripped down and rebuilt the entire hull in the process, all nicely documented. You'll get some idea of what you're getting into.
The "blue" in the pinholes also makes me suspect it is old bottom paint, so whatever they did, you've got a typical problem that the sanding or grinding drove contaminants into the material and more fine sanding plus solvent washing would be required to make sure they are all out. You'll also find that many yards have rules about what work you can DIY on the boat, and for frp repairs you will want a respirator (to keep the frp particles out of your lungs) and face mask, a full tyvek suit, a lot of work and not cheap to build up all the layers properly again. And, if you finished this, working outdoors and allowing for the weather, in less than two months I'd be surprised. That's two months of yard fees and no sailing.
The owner probably bought the second boat because he realized it would be cheaper than trying to finish the hull repairs. Bear that in mind.
Pasadena likes this.
post #19 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
I am currently media blasting my hull and noticed the same thing. Had one of the local boatyard guys come over and fed him beer to take a look at it. He dug through several of them with and awl and flashlight to make sure they weren't in to the layup and told me basically what was said above. Once the hull has been blasted, then sanded to gelcoat, apply a coat of primer to fill everything, sand it smooth, fair any that weren't completely filled, then add several base coats.
Thank you for sharing. Great to see for comparison, and good luck with the work
post #20 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago

is the boat in a yard that will let you do the work? do you know how to do the work? do you have a couple of friends that are going to help you? do you have the equipment that it will take to do the work? do you realize how long it will take to do the work? if you think so then triple it. and it will even take longer then that. it is not just the time to do the work you also need to include the time to get ready to do the work, gather the supplies and material and tools. the time to prep yourself and the environment where you are doing the work so you do not apply the finish to yourself or the neighbors boat. boats are tall, remember you will be doing some of the work from a ladder or scaffolding which cost money and tend to grow legs at night and can walk away. and the rest of the work will be done bent over looking up and holding a sanding board over your head and moving it back and forth for hours if you arm can handle that. and then after all that stuff you need to include the time it will take you to recover from the work that you did the day before.
the thought of someone thinking of getting that boat ready for this summer sailing season, well that just make me remember back a few years when I had those thoughts and then I have to laugh.
Pasadena likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in