Fiberglass checks - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-09-2019 Thread Starter

Fiberglass checks

I am looking for information to help me asses the quality of the fiberglass on a sandblasted hull to treat blisters.

I attach a picture in the hope that someone experienced can give me an opinion by just looking at it. I will take more detailed shots when I see it again this weekend. The black patches are residual paint.

I am not as worried about the process of sealing it and painting it, if the underlying fiberglass is in good condition, but I read a worrying article here about failed blister repairing that is raising my concern.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/BlisterRepairFail.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Keel.jpg  

Last edited by Pasadena; 05-09-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-10-2019

Re: Fiberglass checks

The image you posted is too general. To have an idea on the quality of the fiberglass close shots are needed. All I can see is that the hull is not clean enough for repairs.
oysterman23 and Pasadena like this.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
The image you posted is too general. To have an idea on the quality of the fiberglass close shots are needed. All I can see is that the hull is not clean enough for repairs.
Thank you celenoglu, Does it need more sanding? is it chemical cleaning you are referring too? I notice some pinholes with filler that I would need to clean too. I imagine it would need to be free of all paint staining and surface residues for the epoxy to behave consistently through the surface.

I attach another picture, this is the closest I got. I will take close up images this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
keel_2.jpg   keel_3.jpg  

Last edited by Pasadena; 05-10-2019 at 12:14 PM.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-10-2019

Although controlling directly by the human eye is the best method, I will try my best with closeups. A through cleaning the hull is a must. The fiberglass body will be visible only after cleaning the paint residue and the gell coat layer.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-10-2019
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
I am looking for information to help me asses the quality of the fiberglass on a sandblasted hull to treat blisters.

I attach a picture in the hope that someone experienced can give me an opinion by just looking at it. I will take more detailed shots when I see it again this weekend. The black patches are residual paint.

I am not as worried about the process of sealing it and painting it, if the underlying fiberglass is in good condition, but I read a worrying article here about failed blister repairing that is raising my concern.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/BlisterRepairFail.htm
Looks like the article is a good lesson in how NOT to do a repair. If you are going to have this professionally done, you could discuss their process, and bring up some mistakes made in this article.

Valiant 32
post #6 of 32 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Looks like the article is a good lesson in how NOT to do a repair. If you are going to have this professionally done, you could discuss their process, and bring up some mistakes made in this article.
I need to do it myself or abandon the project. Doing it professionally will cost more than the boat. Trying to avoid nasty surprises once I start and realize that i can't be done.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-10-2019

Suggestion.....
Unless you have a lot of free time abd good skills and a lot of tools..buy your first boat that is in great needs-nothing/little cindition.
Then learn more while actually using your boat...for fun
pdqaltair and Pasadena like this.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-10-2019

Maybe it's the resolution but I can't see blisters in those photographs. Are you certain that's what they are? If that hull was "sand" blasted, it was either a very poor job or it may have actually created the damage you're seeing. I still see patches of color, which I assume are either barrier or antifoulant. The brownish color is what? Did they tear the gelcoat off? No one actually uses sand on fiberglass, it's typically soda or some other softer media. Sometimes ground nut shells.
Pasadena likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Maybe it's the resolution but I can't see blisters in those photographs. Are you certain that's what they are? If that hull was "sand" blasted, it was either a very poor job or it may have actually created the damage you're seeing. I still see patches of color, which I assume are either barrier or antifoulant. The brownish color is what? Did they tear the gelcoat off? No one actually uses sand on fiberglass, it's typically soda or some other softer media. Sometimes ground nut shells.
I will ask these questions on Sunday, when I see it again. I think the blisters are removed at this stage but I still see some little pin holes filled with a blue paste. Not sure what they are.

A bit of detective work ahead. Do you see damage on those pictures? I have never seen exposed fibreglass before, so I don't know how to compare it. Haven't found much online yet, still searching.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Suggestion.....
Unless you have a lot of free time abd good skills and a lot of tools..buy your first boat that is in great needs-nothing/little cindition.
Then learn more while actually using your boat...for fun
Yes, that would be wonderful, but there is nothing but wrecks out there, and I am looking with a decent budget. You also need luck, or not looking too close.

Lucky I haven't put my foot through a hull yet, almost happened the other day with a different boat ))

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in