What's that going to cost - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Re: What's that going to cost

I think that's one of the dumbest sayings ever....makes no sense whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

I have always known that unless I do almost everything on my boat myself, the boat has to go because it will be out of financial reach for me.

That said, my focus is on keeping the boat reliable and safe. The aesthetics sometimes need to be excused but then I have also never seen my boat as an investment. It is more a tool that I use to enjoy life and when I eventually sell it, Iím under no illusions as to the diminished value resulting from my DIY. As long as I can afford to keep sailing, that is my boat maintenance ethos.

Many people believe that the boat has to be pristinely maintained. They are generally the ones who keep the insanely expensive marine industry running and realise only a marginal benefit when it comes to selling.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
there is a saying, if you have to ask how much then you can't afford it.

Yeah. I always thought that was BS.
Now I know some significantly *wealthy* people I know the first question is "How much is this gunna cost me?"

The second thing they say is: "No way. If you want this contract you start looking at an 80% discount or I'm going next door!"

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #14 of 34 Old 05-12-2019

Q. How much will it cost.
A. Whatever you have.

Itís proven. You will spend whatever you have, then it canít cost you more.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 34 Old 05-12-2019
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Anyway, he shut up after his first diagnosis... A mooring cleat that one bolt has sheared: "Zis iz dissicult... ".
If you spoke "boatyard" you would have understood that that met "This is going to be real real real good for me"
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #16 of 34 Old 05-12-2019

In defense of the boat yards, I think most would agree that estimating boat repair costs is difficult. I have often taken on a simple job and had it take all day because it what I was working on was in a place that was so inaccessible that you'd need to be a tiny contortionist to get your hands in there. I remember for example replacing an exhaust hose while on my back under the cockpit that was like wrestling a boa constrictor in a coffin.

On the other hand, I've had seemingly big jobs turn surprisingly easy.

But it is definitely true that an experienced mechanic can fix things with fewer false starts, and that saves time. The other end of this spectrum is a guy I watched come down to the boat with a couple of tools, whoops not the right ones, walk back to the shed, walk back down the dock, not the right ones, walk back to the shed.....and repeat at $100/hr. In one yard I had them do some work and came back to find vice grips (wrong tool), still clamped onto the alternator bolt from work they had done during the week when I was away. It's like the surgeon leaving forceps in your gut after an operation. You might rattle a bit when you walk. If you get the right guy, might be worth the $100/hr yard price. If you get the wrong guy, might be more expensive than the right guy at $100 even if the rate is $25/hr.

Tough question.
davidpm and flyrod like this.
post #17 of 34 Old 05-12-2019

There are those jobs that I do myself like rebuilding a head, sanding and painting, washing and waxing, changing hoses, clamps, fluids, zincs, etc. Then there are jobs that I'll just pay the marina to do. I'm retired, but I continue to work for myself. My daily rate is a little less than the yards daily rate. My attitude is that I'll go out and do what I'm good at and let them do what they're good at. I often kid the owners and tell them, I should just have my "work checks" automatically deposited in their account. Can I do some of the work, I have them do. Sure. But, it will take me much longer, and it won't be done as well. I'd rather say yes, to a few more clients, and do what I do best to cover the cost and I don't get scraped knuckles and break stuff ;-)
post #18 of 34 Old 05-12-2019
Senior Moment Member

If you do all or most of the work yourself it will cost more than your wife is willing to spend.

If you hire the work done it will cost more than you can afford.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #19 of 34 Old 05-12-2019

Dock

Ummmm in your working life if you were earning $100 per hour (actually, not your hire out rate), Hy when you retire would you go back to earning a nominal $10 per hour rate cleaning toilet pipes, et al?

I didn't work my whole life for that BS!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 34 Old 05-12-2019

Sure, but many earning lots of money in previous lives, don't actually end up with a big chunk of savings.

Sometimes not even their own fault.

And not everyone chooses the mainstream socially high status life patterns.

Personally, the most rewarding work I've ever done has been that which paid the least. Raising multiple sets of kids for example. . .
chall03 and davidpm like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in