What's that going to cost - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: What's that going to cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCoSailor View Post
.....The cost I hate about DIY projects on my boat, is the little stuff. Sandpaper, gloves, brushes, fasteners, connectors, sealer, tape... they always seem to add up quickly.......
This is one of the things that kills me on my yard bills too. They often charge for the quarts of solvent, or pack of rags, or whatever, when I'm sure they weren't all used. I don't get the excess, because they don't disclose there was any. It just stands to reason the entire quantities weren't used. No doubt they're either taken by the guys for their own use, or just resold to the next guy.

Although, this pales in comparison to the number of hours they bill for jobs I've done myself, on the same boat, in half the time. T&M jobs are valued by contractors for a reason. They can work at whatever pace they please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Full time cruiser

We bought SoulMates, a Jeanneau DS40, brand new and I knew nothing about boats or boat upkeep. But growing up on a farm I learned how to care for equipment. So when we had work done we got estimates and then hired the one I thought was the best only on the condition that I work with them. I learned a lot.
As we moved on I did a lot of the work myself and began to learn to source parts from a variety of places - not just boat stores or mfgs. We continued to move on and I found things that I just was not skilled enough to do and again would get quotes but by now I had experience on costs and work quality - we insist on the highest quality work we can get. What we find is Jeanneau is sometimes more expensive than other places but sometimes Jeanneau is the only place we can get what we need.

Now I am getting a bit longer in the tooth and a few injuries make things like doing the bottom not a few day job but a week or more - my shoulders can take only so much - screws in both. And crawling into tight spaces I can still do but sometimes it is easier to have some young guy do it. I can still go up the mast but this past year I lost an anchor light but needed to have the rigging checked so had a pro do it and check everything up there from the light to the radar reflector to the rigging.

A lot of the cost depends on where you are and the availability of parts, taxes on parts, ect. One of the things we do is if we have to replace something and it is very very reasonably priced we get 2 or sometimes 3 and store them for future use.

After 12 years underway we know what it costs so when we ask for quotes we go over them with a fine tooth comb to see what they are going to do and for what. As some know we publish our costs yearly and about 25% of everything we spend goes to the boat but then again we use her hard and we need her in first class condition. Our costs are here 10 years of cost of cruising data - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
SanderO likes this.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #33 of 34 Old 4 Weeks Ago
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
This is one of the things that kills me on my yard bills too. They often charge for the quarts of solvent, or pack of rags, or whatever, when I'm sure they weren't all used. I don't get the excess, because they don't disclose there was any. It just stands to reason the entire quantities weren't used. No doubt they're either taken by the guys for their own use, or just resold to the next guy.
This is true, but then again, they probably started your job(s) with some solvent, rags etc. that were left over from the last job that someone else had paid for. You were one in a chain of many, who kept the yard in stock...I see this pretty often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

post #34 of 34 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I've been doing most of the work on other people's boats and my own since I was about 12. Somewhere around 65, I'd had enough of bottom jobs and now have all the prep and painting done by the yard. And you know what? I really don't give a sh*t what it costs because I'm not ever going to do another bottom job. However, I do supply the paint.
Another gift we give ourselves is to have all our laundry professionally done. By the time you count the supplies and our time, it just isn't that much more than doing it ourselves.
On the other hand, we won't let a refer guy within 100 feet of our boat, as I haven't encountered a competent one in many decades.
oysterman23 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in