What's that going to cost - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 05-10-2019 Thread Starter

What's that going to cost

I often get asked by new boat owners what candidate boat will cost to get to an appropriate condition.

I got a bright idea yesterday.

For sails, I can send them to fxsails.com for the instant quote.

For a lot of other parts, I can send them to Catalina direct.

I'm thinking that even for non-Catalina's if they pick a boat about the same size the Catalina number will be at least a start.

I'm looking primarily at first boats. O'day, Pearson, Catalina, Bene, Hunter in the 27' to 37' range.
I'm not looking at serious cruising boats with a lot of systems.
I'm expecting that the actual cost will be at best .75 to 2 times the guestimate number.

For things like an engine repair or replace, and major painting that have a high labor component I can only guess.
Marina quotes often are a fraction the real cost and they vary wildly.

How do you come up with estimated budget numbers?

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Use a dart board and multiply the number by 8.7.
post #3 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Dock
Re: What's that going to cost

3/5ths of 5/8ths of SFA.

Its exact.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Since every project I do seems to have to done two or 3 times to get it right...I imagine professionals would have a more efficient way of working. But who knows??? Without special knowledge and tools professionals have you over a barrel.
I needed an engine mount replaced. I could not get ANY mechanic to do the work on my mooring. Fair enough. Then I couldn't get them to do it at the town dock.

So... I took it on and did it slowly and it wasn't hard at all. Parts were expensive of course... But I doubt the professional could have done it much faster. And that project I didn't have to redo. I DID have to realign the shaft and that was something I did not realize going in to the project. But I took tins of measurements and photos of the engine position before and tried to get the engine to be in that same position when I was done. I also did only one mount at a time so the engine really didn't move in plan position... The alignment was damn good so tuning it wasn't a big problem either. Maybe I was lucky. I saved thousand$ in labor. And I ended up knowing how it was done and that it was done right.
Barquito, slap and MarkofSeaLife like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 05-13-2019 at 03:57 AM.
post #5 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Since every project I do seems to have to done two or 3 times to get it right...I imagine professionals would have a more efficient way of working. But who knows??? Without special knowledge and tools professionals have you over a barrel.
I had the Beneteau expert over yesterday to quote a list of jobs I have had in abayance for 18 months.

They're experts jobs. I know because I'm not an expert.
Some of them I could do but the time for me to do it compared to an expert is 10:1.... Plus I get to drink beer and watch the guys bleeding knuckles

Anyway, he shut up after his first diagnosis... A mooring cleat that one bolt has sheared: "Zis iz dissicult... ". Yes, you idiot! If it wasn't difficult I would do it!!

I look forward to my beer watching that one!
capta and Rhapsody-NS27 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

The best you can do is to try to figure out how to do it yourself, guesstimate the hours, include the hours to get the parts, find the tools, wander down to the dock, take breaks, get confused, ask for help, go back up the dock and shower. Rates need to include all his taxes, FICA, retirement plan, vacation, sick time etc. it gets to be a lot fast.

When we hear dollars we tend to say “I could do that in X hours, that’s a huge cost.” And it is, because we focus on just the time bent over working forgetting the prep, planning, clean up, travel, ( and yes, recovering from mistakes) and all the other essentials we take for granted.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 34 Old 05-11-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
...Anyway, he shut up after his first diagnosis... A mooring cleat that one bolt has sheared: "Zis iz dissicult... ".
That’s the professional way of adding another zero to your bill .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 34 Old 05-11-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The cost of labor is often simply a big gap in the mental charts of folks who have never been self-employed. Typically, if someone is self-employed AND they are exceptionally efficient at business management, their net is about 1/4-1/3 of what they have to charge. As opposed to being an employee, maybe a plumber is making $25-50 per hour while his employer has to carry all those other costs--which will bring it to $100-150 per hour. It is only when 'the guy" is working off the books, not setting aside taxes or paid vacation time, insurances, etc. that you may be getting a bargain on labor...but that's just because the laborer is cheating themself and the tax man.

Painting costs, for hulls or decks or bottom paint, will usually be estimated by the number of feet, and the materials used. That's going to be a local number based a lot of real estate costs and the competition. And if the painting is done right, that means a climate-controlled EPA-approved paint room, which can be damned expensive. But painting a boat outdoors leaves you at the mercy of the weather, and inevitably flying critters. It will never look the same, although from ten feet back it may pass.
post #9 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

B.O.A.T
Break Out Another Thousand
post #10 of 34 Old 05-11-2019

there is a saying, if you have to ask how much then you can't afford it.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in