Mast Riggers Vancouver Island - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Mast Riggers Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Is a 27' the mast weights about 80 pounds tops. Basically taking down a long pole. How hard could that be? I have moved whole cargos across continents for a portion of that. It doesn't make sense ))
I would be very surprised if a mast for a 27 foot boat only weighs 80lbs. I am sure my old Hotfoot 20 mast weighed more than that and it was a skinny little racing mast...just saying!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Pasadena likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago

Dropping a mast on a boat that size is not that easy, especially a well built one with heavier rigging. That does not mean it's impossible. If the boat is landlocked there must be some sort of marina and possibly a boat yard on the lake. Contact them to see what it would cost to drop the mast. Since you are going to need it trailered you might start calling boat transport companies to get quotes. I am going to guess it will cost at least $2,000 to get the boat to the ocean maybe twice that.
Pasadena likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Dropping a mast on a boat that size is not that easy, especially a well built one with heavier rigging. That does not mean it's impossible. If the boat is landlocked there must be some sort of marina and possibly a boat yard on the lake. Contact them to see what it would cost to drop the mast. Since you are going to need it trailered you might start calling boat transport companies to get quotes. I am going to guess it will cost at least $2,000 to get the boat to the ocean maybe twice that.
I have the transport sorted at a very reasonable price, water to water. Taking the mast down seems to be the new hurdle. I am contacting the marinas around but I've got no quotes so far. As a newbie, I am baffled about the costs for the kind of work involved.

Even if it weighted 200 pounds, three strong guys should be able to hold it steady while it slowly comes down over the shoulder in about ten minutes. I compare that to movers carrying an oversize sofa into a 15th floor through a back staircase for 50 bucks (facepalm)

Last edited by Pasadena; 1 Week Ago at 05:12 PM.

post #14 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I would be very surprised if a mast for a 27 foot boat only weighs 80lbs. I am sure my old Hotfoot 20 mast weighed more than that and it was a skinny little racing mast...just saying!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
You are right, is 32 feet, and a bit less than 200 pounds. I was looking at a Catalina mast.
post #15 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Even if it weighted 200 pounds, three strong guys should be able to hold it steady while it slowly comes down over the shoulder in about ten minutes. I compare that to movers carrying an oversize sofa into a 15th floor through a back staircase for 50 bucks (facepalm)
Now imagine that couch was 40 feet long and vertical. As has been said if your 3 strong guys make one small mistake your cost of owning this boat will double.

Ask whoever is going to move the boat how they plan on getting the boat onto and off the trailer? Maybe you can bring 30 strong backs and have them lift the boat onto the trailer for you?

Chances are there is a crane or boat lift involved you have not factored into the cost of buying and transporting this boat. If so they can easily coordinate taking down the mast with this machinery. Talk to the delivery guys, boat yards and previous owner to find out what your resources are. You are quickly finding boat ownership can add up. You might be able save money by doing with a few friends. However if you and a bunch of buddies are trying to figure out how to de-rig and rig the mast while the meter is running on a very expensive peice of machinery like a crane, you might find it smarter to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

This is a nice boat, and if it is priced cheaply it is likely because of it's location.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Now imagine that couch was 40 feet long and vertical. As has been said if your 3 strong guys make one small mistake your cost of owning this boat will double.

Ask whoever is going to move the boat how they plan on getting the boat onto and off the trailer? Maybe you can bring 30 strong backs and have them lift the boat onto the trailer for you?

This is a nice boat, and if it is priced cheaply it is likely because of it's location.
I really like that idea, I always wanted to do that
Attached Thumbnails
gettyimages-542342474-640x426.jpg  
post #17 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I really like that idea, I always wanted to do that
That boat has no keel so you will need taller crew to get the boat on a trailer.
Pasadena likes this.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
post #18 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
That boat has no keel so you will need taller crew to get the boat on a trailer.
Endless fun. I am so glad about all the boats I rejected so far. I can still dream. Soon it will just be nightmares

The crane quotes I am getting are reasonable, $150 an hour.

Last edited by Pasadena; 1 Week Ago at 07:29 PM.
post #19 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago

A little more info would be helpful.
If the mast pivots on a bolt or pin then it should be pretty straight forward to lower it with 3 or 4 people.
If the boat is being lifted by a travel lift, the same lift can be used to remove the mast.
Re-rigging that mast is not rocket science, there is plenty of books and on line info...even some good advice on SN. If the rigging is good now, make some markers on the turnbuckles and wires so that you can start by putting the rigging back the way it was.
post #20 of 43 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
A little more info would be helpful.
If the mast pivots on a bolt or pin then it should be pretty straight forward to lower it with 3 or 4 people.
If the boat is being lifted by a travel lift, the same lift can be used to remove the mast.
Re-rigging that mast is not rocket science, there is plenty of books and on line info...even some good advice on SN. If the rigging is good now, make some markers on the turnbuckles and wires so that you can start by putting the rigging back the way it was.
They are using the marina launch, the transport said they don't do the mast. The crane operators do it all the time, apparently. The mast attaches by the base fitting over a male plug that is 2 or 3 inches high, mounted on the cabin roof. Then a bolt goes through the base of the mast and the plug. So far this is all I know, thank you Paulnanaimo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in