Mast Riggers Vancouver Island - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

Re: Mast Riggers Vancouver Island

That sounds like you would have to raise the mast clear of the male plug before you could lower it, that complicates things a bit.
What do you mean by using the marina launch? What is it? What does it do? What lake is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
That sounds like you would have to raise the mast clear of the male plug before you could lower it, that complicates things a bit.
What do you mean by using the marina launch? What is it? What does it do? What lake is it?
Yes, we'll have to loose the shrouds to pull it up. I have no idea what they have in mind, they seem very confident and know the area. I'll ask for more details. The crane guys say they do it all the time as well. Waiting for a few more quotes, will let you know how it all ends up. Me walking away into the sunset again probably, the disappointment hurts less every time ))

Last edited by Pasadena; 3 Days Ago at 09:14 PM.
post #23 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

With a small crane it is not a big problem. The trick is knowing how to secure to the mast above the centre point so the mast can lift straight up. If they attach too close to the fulcrum the mast can swing wildly or come crashing down as the base comes clear.

I would be concerned if the crane operator had never lifted a mast before, but if they "do it all the time" you should be fine.

$150/hr is fair.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 3 Days Ago at 12:20 PM.

post #24 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
With a small crane it is not a big problem. The trick is knowing how to secure to the mast above the centre point so the mast can lift straight up. If they attach too close to the fulcrum the mast can swing wildly or come crashing down as sun as the base is clear.

I would be concerned if the crane operator had never lifted a mast before, but if they "do it all the time" you should be fine.

$150/hr is fair.

Thanks for the info SchockT, something I'll keep in mind once I get over the fact that this owner expects a sale after seeing the boat on the slip, and doesn't want to show it sailing... It is a surreal journey.

Last edited by Pasadena; 3 Days Ago at 12:27 PM.
post #25 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
Thanks for the info SchockT, something I'll keep in mind once I get over the fact that this owner expects a sale after seeing the boat on the slip, and doesn't want to show it sailing... It is a surreal journey.
that is typical of boat sales, you look at the boat if you like you put down a deposit then arrange for a survey at the buyers expense then the sea trial. this will vary on smaller boats because they are simpler and easy to inspect the sails and equipment at the dock. you check out the condition of the boat and equipment and if all is good it will sail just fine. the sea trial is not for you to see if you like the way the boat sails but to see if the equipment on the boat is working properly.
Pasadena likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #26 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
that is typical of boat sales, you look at the boat if you like you put down a deposit then arrange for a survey at the buyers expense then the sea trial. this will vary on smaller boats because they are simpler and easy to inspect the sails and equipment at the dock. you check out the condition of the boat and equipment and if all is good it will sail just fine. the sea trial is not for you to see if you like the way the boat sails but to see if the equipment on the boat is working properly.
Interesting process, not familiar with it, great to know. No one would think of buying a car because it has four wheels, an engine and the spare tyre, without doing a test drive first. There is so much you can feel about the state of the rigging and general structure when is on sail. Some of the ones I have seen have been sitting on the marina for years, just doing BBQ's. They can easily fall apart at the first wave.

It's all still moving along, fingers cross. Different boats, different hurdles

Last edited by Pasadena; 3 Days Ago at 02:56 PM.
post #27 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

You seem to appreciate the value of a test drive but this owner won't let you go for one. From what you have related the owner isn't being very helpful about moving the boat either. It isn't that great a boat, unless it's free I think you should let it be.
Pasadena likes this.
post #28 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasadena View Post
I think a boat's reputation speaks for itself. You have a pretty good idea of what it should sail like.

I think the idea is not to take someone sailing until they show serious interest in buying it. Otherwise, you could spend your first year or two learning to sail by test driving all the boats for sale.
Pasadena likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I think a boat's reputation speaks for itself. You have a pretty good idea of what it should sail like.

I think the idea is not to take someone sailing until they show serious interest in buying it. Otherwise, you could spend your first year or two learning to sail by test driving all the boats for sale.
When I was selling my old boat through craigslist I had a number of "buyers" wanting to go for a sail right off the bat. I got the feeling they just wanted to go sailing. My policy was, we would go for a sail AFTER we had an accepted offer and a deposit. I was willing to hoist the sails at the dock if they wanted to see the condition, but that wasn't good enough for some.

The owner SHOULD allow a sea trial after a deal has been made. If they aren't willing to do that, I would assume they are hiding something.

jephotog and Pasadena like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #30 of 43 Old 3 Days Ago

If I'm not mistaken, Pasadena lives on the Mainland and the boat is on Vancouver Island...on a landlocked lake no less. I think spending an entire day and a lot of money on ferry fares etc. should warrant a test sail.
Pasadena likes this.

Last edited by paulinnanaimo; 2 Days Ago at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in