SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mast Riggers Vancouver Island (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329610-mast-riggers-vancouver-island.html)

Pasadena 05-13-2019 12:30 PM

Mast Riggers Vancouver Island

I found a new potential Boat to buy, this one with the added challenge of transporting it.

Does anyone know anyone in Vancouver Island South that can help taking down a mast for transport and rigging it back at the marina?

The cost of this can determine if its worth pursuing the sale.

overbored 05-13-2019 12:57 PM

Re: Mast Riggers Vancouver Island

most of the boat yards can do that. Cost should be about $1500 for a 30ish footer to derig and set the boat and rig on a truck for transport. same at the other end of the trip.

Pasadena 05-13-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051601760)
most of the boat yards can do that. Cost should be about $1500 for a 30ish footer to derig and set the boat and rig on a truck for transport. same at the other end of the trip.

Thanks Overbored, that sounds very overpriced. I need to find two guys with a crane truck or an A frame. The transport quote from water to water is a very small portion of that cost.

overbored 05-13-2019 01:26 PM

what size boat? I am sure there is a cheaper way but if you damage the mast that came with the boat the new mast will cost more then the boat to replace. not sure what you are trying to do but two guys with a crane truck sounds like an accident waiting to happen. most yards are not going to let two guys with a crane truck lift your mast in their yard

Pasadena 05-13-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051601774)
what size boat? I am sure there is a cheaper way but if you damage the mast that came with the boat the new mast will cost more then the boat to replace. not sure what you are trying to do but two guys with a crane truck sounds like an accident waiting to happen. most yards are not going to let two guys with a crane truck lift your mast in their yard

Is a 27' the mast weights about 80 pounds tops. Basically taking down a long pole. How hard could that be? I have moved whole cargos across continents for a portion of that. It doesn't make sense ))

overbored 05-13-2019 01:55 PM

that's a different story. so it is a trailer sailor. there are many on the forum that have lots of experience taking down a small mast. is it keel or deck stepped?

Pasadena 05-13-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051601778)
that's a different story. so it is a trailer sailor. there are many on the forum that have lots of experience taking down a small mast. is it keel or deck stepped? Raising the Catalina 22 Mast Using the Boom as a Gin Pole - YouTube

Thank you for sharing the video. It's an Aloha 27' with a deck stepped mast.

overbored 05-13-2019 02:18 PM

thats a great boat Robert Perry design you should be able rig a Gin pole to raise and lower that mast but getting close to the limit of using a gin pole that mast is about 35'

paulinnanaimo 05-13-2019 02:33 PM

You could hire 2 or 3 guys for an hour and do it by hand. Why aren't you sailing the boat home?

Pasadena 05-13-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo (Post 2051601792)
You could hire 2 or 3 guys for an hour and do it by hand. Why aren't you sailing the boat home?

I will, is on a lake. I need to take it to the coast. Just calculating the cost and hassle first to see if it's worth buying it.