SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Strange Smell from Propane Stove (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/329656-strange-smell-propane-stove.html)

glossa 05-16-2019 12:17 AM

Strange Smell from Propane Stove

Our Seward propane stove has been emitting a strange smell for quite some time now and I'm not sure what is causing it. The smell is hard to describe but it make our eyes water and our noses runny, almost like tear gas but to a lesser extent. We only get the smell with the oven - not the burners. What could be causing this?

SeanM26 05-16-2019 12:24 AM

Has some sort of cleaner been spilled inside?

MarkofSeaLife 05-16-2019 01:40 AM

Re: Strange Smell from Propane Stove

Egg residue burning can smell of sulphur.

john61ct 05-16-2019 01:53 AM

Is it pretty new, or has it been painted or repaired?

boatpoker 05-16-2019 06:46 PM

Do you have a propane fume detector ?

Minnewaska 05-16-2019 07:48 PM

Are you familiar with propane odor to know whether to rule it out?

john61ct 05-16-2019 08:11 PM

propane itself is actually odorless, they use a "rotten egg" type odor additive for safety, may vary in different countries

like dyeing petrol

Minnewaska 05-17-2019 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john61ct (Post 2051602638)
propane itself is actually odorless, they use a "rotten egg" type odor additive for safety, may vary in different countries

like dyeing petrol

Good point, but the odor is still very identifiable. I don't believe the additive is actually sulfur, like rotten eggs, but it is foul like that. I've seen scratch and sniff cards to help identify it, as part of safety sessions. I bet local household propane dealers would have them, if the OP is unfamiliar. Of course, just pulling the hose off the bottle would let enough escape to smell it and compare.

If I had the OP's problem, I'd get an electric gas sniffer quickly. They aren't all that expensive.

mbianka 05-17-2019 10:58 AM

Sounds like you are about to run out of propane. At least that is what I've noticed with the small 1 pound canisters.

chicory83 05-17-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbianka (Post 2051602748)
Sounds like you are about to run out of propane. At least that is what I've noticed with the small 1 pound canisters.

This is most likely the issue. The odorant in Propane, Ethyl Mercaptan, is less volatile than Propane, so it tends to become more concentrated in the cylinder as you reach the end. You probably notice it more in the stove than in the range because it is more confined.