Roller Furling issue - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter

Location: Southeastern Lower Michigan, Northwestern Lower Michigan

Roller Furling issue

Relatively new owner of 30' Catalina. After having the boat indoor stored over the off-season so I could get some work done, the boat went in the water last week. The storage outfit stepped the mast and set the foresail.

It was chilly on Lake Charlevoix Monday morning but I had the lake to myself and it was sunny and beautiful. I let the foresail out, 150% Genoa, and sailed from Boyne City to Charlevoix.

As I approached my marina I started rolling in my foresail. With about 6-8 foot of sail still out I came to the end of my roller furling line. I thought maybe it was me, so I applied a winch but after a few turns it became clear I was just stretching the line.

Going forward, it became clear that I was at the end of the line, there were no more turns on the line. By turning downwind I was able to reduce the flap in the sail and use a sheet to twist the foresail up and tighten it so I could enter the marina and dock.

Want to resolve this issue on Saturday. Am I right in thinking I just need to rewind the line around the roller furling at the dock until I have enough line so I can take the sail all the way in then take the boat out on the lake and let the sail out and draw it in again?

If not what should I be thinking? If yes, are there any caveats I should be aware of?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-16-2019

Re: Roller Furling issue

With the sail fully and tightly furled, you need to put some additional wraps of the furling line. You will have to 'unthread' the line from the stanchion blocks so that the line is at the furler. Just wrap it around several times. How many is a bit of trial and error.
bwallace likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
bwallace (05-16-2019)
post #3 of 20 Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter

Location: Southeastern Lower Michigan, Northwestern Lower Michigan

Thanks, Paul. Not going to be able to roll the sail tight until out on the lake. Thanks for confirming my sense that I just need to make sure I have sufficient wraps and no kinks in the line.

Brian

post #4 of 20 Old 05-16-2019

Furling downwind should be standard practice unless the wind is quite light. It is MUCH easier and the sail will flog less; just keep light tension on the sheet. Upwind, and especially using the winch, can damage the furler. You should never need to use the winch on a 30-footer.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

no need to undo the furling line ,just undo the sheets and wrap the rest of the sail around the furler and add a couple of extra turns and then fasten the sheets again and it is good to go.
SchockT likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

This is a very typical yard mistake. Yes, you need more wraps. If it's not fully furled in, when you run out of line, trying to twist the rest in my hand will just start to wrap the line in the wrong direction. The sail needs to be fully deployed, then the extra wraps added. Either that, or you disconnect the line from the furling drum, finish furling by hand twisting, then reattach the line with a couple extra wraps in the correct direction.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

Overbord has it right - just undo the sheets (or wrap the sheets around the sail if you can’t reach the clew) and roll another 5 or 6 wraps of furling line around the drum.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Overbord has it right - just undo the sheets (or wrap the sheets around the sail if you can’t reach the clew) and roll another 5 or 6 wraps of furling line around the drum.
If I'm following, you're referring to the sail being fully furled, which the OP can't make happen, because the line ran out? The extra wraps have to go on, with the sail fully deployed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

This kinda thing happens all the time. The number of wraps around the drum that are required is related to how tightly the jib is furled. If for example it is partially furled with when the wind is up to reef, it is likely to be wrapped pretty tight and you might run out of wraps around the drum.

I've fixed this multiple ways:

1. With it in as far as it will go, in light or no wind, take the sheets forward, and walk them around the furler multiple times until the sail is fully in...effectively wrapping the sail around the furler.

2. In light or no wind, walk the furling line forward and wrap that around the drum a few more times, then pull to wrap the sail.

Sometimes, even if you think you've got it right, you might go out on a windy day and not have enough wraps and need to adjust. No biggie.

One other thought. I live on a bay with quite a few sailboats, and have many times gotten in my dingy and gone out to boats that had their jibs partially unfurling in a big wind and beating themselves to death. Make sure you have a couple of extra wraps of just sheet around your sails when you leave the boat, make sure the furling line and sheets are secured, so this doesn't happen in a blow. Don't leave a little sail out, in a big blow it can find a way to unravel.

Good luck with the boat catalina 30...have fun!
post #10 of 20 Old 05-17-2019

Both methods mentioned above work.

If leaving boat for a time...put a sail tie around furled jib
jblumhorst and capecodda like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in