SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What size through-hull fitting?

890 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Damon Gannon 
#1 ·
I need some advice on what to do with my head through-hull...

I pulled my marine head, all the plumbing, and holding tank to replace it with a composting toilet. I also removed all through-hull fittings and ball valves for replacement. I plan on keeping the head through-hull as I would like to add a wash down pump and water maker and that would be a perfect spot for it. Or I might change my mind and would like to add a marine head in the future. My current issue is this:

Do I leave the through hull at its current size, or do I downsize it? It is currently set up for a 1 3/4" through hull which I think might be quite large. How large would it need to be to accommodate the watermaker and anchor wash?

If I downsize, I will have the added advantage of space under the sink in the head as the valve is so large. I will also not have to not grind some of the wood from the inside of the cabinet door to make it fit the new valves of the same size (instead of adding backing plates where there were none, I just thickened the hull with some colloidal silica and glass). However, I will have to modify the hole which could be a lot of work especially considering I have a looooong list of jobs to do as I near the deadline for this refit. If I plug the hole with colloidal silica and redrill it slightly smaller will that suffice?

Note: my through hulls are countersunk (flush-mount?) and had a layer of glass over the top to finish.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.