"Chocks" or "Wedged" for Keel Stepped Mast?? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2019 Thread Starter

"Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

Hello,

I am the new owner of a 1985 Tartan 28 and have never had a boat with a keel stepped mast. I am not sure how to go about getting mast chocks or wedges? Does anyone know what size I might need or where to go to buy them in person or online? Same goes for the mast boot. I am not sure what to look for or how to obtain the proper product to keep the mast connect sturdy and dry. Any information or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
APM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2019

Re: "Chocks" or "Wedged" for Keel Stepped Mast??

May want to look at spartite for setting the mast
bristol299bob likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2019

Re: "Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

Agree with RU, I used spartite a few years ago and Im very happy with it.

Prior to that the boat had some sort of plastic wedges, starboard perhaps. I like spartite much better. be sure to coat the mast collar with petroleum jelly (or any release agent you like) so that the mast can be unstepped without drama.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to avoid Spartite as the mast will need to be stepped and unstepped after each season. I would prefer to use a combination of wedges and boots but just not sure where to get these or see them online.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019
Administrator

When it is properly installed with a release compound, Spartite is made to be removable every season. It just slides out with the mast.

Other than that you can get flexible urethane strips and that you can cut to length and will block the mast without creating hard spots that can crimp the mast. You can get the material from McMaster Carr here: https://www.mcmaster.com/urethane You will want probably want a 40A hardness but may be able to use a 60A hardness if you want the deck to assume more of the bending loads from mast bend. You can also buy HDPE sheet and carefully spile the opening and cut out a mast blocking collar that fits snug in the opening. You can make it in two halves that can be screwed together, which allows you to install it after the mast is stepped. If you leave a small gap, you can use the screws to clamp the collar to the mast and keep it in place.

I use a PVC mast boot made by Sailing Specialties. Davis or Taylor also made a universal mast boot that I have used but I don't see it online. When I owned a wooden boat, I made a mast boot out of canvas and painted it to seal it. Then there is this: https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...t_11740-1.html

Jeff
CVAT likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
When it is properly installed with a release compound, Spartite is made to be removable every season. It just slides out with the mast.

Other than that you can get flexible urethane strips and that you can cut to length and will block the mast without creating hard spots that can crimp the mast.

I use a PVC mast boot made by Sailing Specialties. Davis also made a universal mast boot that I have used.
I also use the Sailing Specialties mast boot. I recommend it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2019

Re: "Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

I made my chocks for the mast step out of 1/4” thigh G-10 fiberglass. There are 5 in front and 5 behind and 2 on either side. They replaced the 30 year old teak blocks that were getting mushy. I used Spartite in the deck collar instead of the wedges and so far it works great.

Tags
boot , chocks , mast , wedges

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in