• 1 Post By john61ct
  • 2 Post By hellosailor
  • 1 Post By john61ct
  • 1 Post By jwoytek

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Anderson Powerpole Connectors

Today, I was looking at a Goal Zero Yeti Lithium Portable Power Station as a possible alternative to the needlessly expensive marine inverter/chargers, but these seem every bit as pricy, though they do have some interesting features.
Anyway, it has Anderson Powerpole Connectors for high draw (up to 40 amps) 12 VDC use and though I've noticed them before, here and there, I decided to check them out. After a bit of research, it seems as though these would be a much better alternative to cigarette lighter plugs and the marine exterior round pronged receptacles and plugs now available.
They seem to have more contact surface area and appear to be large enough to clean inside the female receptacle contact area. The contacts are tinned and they even have a receptacle that's "Weather resistant rubber cover protects & seals connectors" for exterior use that can't be much less Weather resistant than the external marine receptacles of any type I know! I'm of a mind to replace every other 12 VDC receptacle on the boat with these!
Does anyone have anything negative to say about these electrical connectors?"
Jeff_H likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 05-21-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2019

Re: Anderson Powerpole Connectors

Great connectors. I use them on boat in various areas. The controller for my Electric Propulsion system uses them too.

https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2012...son-power.html

I also used them for the interconnects on my home made Helm mounted battery monitoring station.
https://biankablog.blogspot.com/2013...art-eight.html
Been sitting in the cockpit for several years with no problems.

After I recently repaired my boats wash down pump I used the Anderson Power Poles for the power leads. This will make trouble shooting and replacement easier in the future.
I will also be using them on a new VHF and pump installations this season too.
Jeff_H and SanderO like this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2019

No APP are the bomb, and the SB series when you need high amps. Many thousands of cycles no worries super robust.

Don't even mention ciggie port connections in the same breath, inherently awful design.

Be aware lots of cheap Chinese knockoffs out there, worth buying from trusted suppliers to get the real deal.

And get good wire of course, and use the proper crimpers, haven't found a generic one will do the job right.

Powerwerx makes panel outlets, patch / fuse boards, weather resistant boots, also check out Aussie sources, used a lot on their rigs.
SanderO likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

A couple of minuses to Anderson PowerPoles. First, you really really want to buy THEIR crimping tool. Nothing else will just simply and reliably make a crimp that fits neatly into the plastic housing.

Second, they can be a bit fragile. Don't step on a wire terminated with PowerPoles, they may crack.

And they can be a bit insecure. They can pull out of each other easily. Anderson has snap connectors that go over two sides to "tie" them together, but they're a bit inconvenient.

Still and all...they work very well. There are a lot of optional buts and fittings (splitters, weathercaps, bulkhead fittings, etc.) that aren't widely advertised. And the SMALL PowerPoles can take 15/30/40 amp contacts inside them, three capacities in the same shell size so for a few cents more--use the higher power ones and just make them all the same. There are also roll pins that you insert between a + and - plug in order to pin the two together so they don't slide apart.

But they don't corrode, they don't overheat, they do a very good job. You'll still need some ciggy sockets for guests and hardwired gear, but for dedicated stuff the PowerPoles have earned a reputation for being pretty solid performers.

And, they're available in many colors and MUCH higher capacity larger sizes.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2019

Capta!!!

Amazing timing. I was just ten minutes ago googling the Anderson SB50. I want to re-wire my 24-volt 50 amp trolling motor and that really looks like the go-to connector.

I found a place online that will build me a nice 6 AWG cable with rings on one end and an SB50 on the other end, for quite a reasonable price.

Howevver…
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
you really really want to buy THEIR crimping tool. Nothing else will just simply and reliably make a crimp that fits neatly into the plastic housing.
I’ll still need to connect another SB50 to the leads from my motor. I don’t particularly want a buy an expensive crimper to make two connections. Is there a way around that?

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 05-24-2019 at 06:52 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Minne-
Yes, you can use other crimping tools of whatever looks "close". Or even a needlenose plier and some finessing, or simply soldering the wires into the contacts. Some folks worry the solder will melt if there's a heavy overload. And the other crimpers (or heavy solder) can leave it hard to push the contact home into the housing.
But it CAN be done any of those ways, just some attention to the physical sizing. And order a couple of spare contacts, just in case something slips.
SanderO and Minnesail like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-24-2019

Do not need to permanently install ciggie ports.

If you do, use Blue Sea's twistloc version, will accept the terrible standard design plugs too.

I prefer to standardize on APP, then carry pigtail adapters for guests.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-24-2019

The Powerwerx clone crimper, is OK for non-professionals, only costs $45 vs $270 for the real one

https://powerwerx.com/tricrimp-power...-crimping-tool

and can get other dies for it.

If you really need waterproof, Deutsch (TE) DT/DTM/DTP series
Minnesail likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-24-2019
Always learning...

Iíve been using PowerPole connectors in relatively awful outdoor conditions for amateur radio and experimental mobile robotics gear for ages. The only problems Iíve had are shell failure of the small connectors when subjected to extreme blunt force, and some crimp failures before I got a better controlled-cycle crimp tool with the correct contact dies. Iím going to be tackling some wiring projects on the boat soon, and plan to make good use of them.

I use a small zip tie to keep the small shell connections mated. Easy to remove if needed, but plenty secure for most uses. Powerwerx sells a great variety of parts, premade adapters, pigtails, junction boxes, etc.

Jonathan
Minnesail likes this.

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in