New sail...new sheets...1 piece or 2? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BarryL
  • 1 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

New sail...new sheets...1 piece or 2?

Just got a laminate sail for the boat. Its a 140 and its used on a furler. The old jib sheets were 1/2" and seem really heavy and chunky. Replacing them with 7/16" Sta-set. Would you guys go with 2 45' sheets or 1 90' sheet? Its for cruising and a lot of singlehanded stuff, and I don't change the sails much and if it did i would have sheets for each sail to make it easy.

S/V Cuajota - 1975 WD Schock Santana 30

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

A soft shackle works well...and easier to use same 2 sheets.
post #3 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: New sail...new sheets...1 piece or 2?

I would go with the single , 2 bowlines on the clew is clunky . We have two sheets and when I get around to getting new I'm going to have the one line . One thing about 1/2 it feels good in your hand IMO . To small no good . Sta-Set is awesome .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Eye spliced sheets and soft shackle is low...clunky...
post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hello,

If you only have one headsail, or will have dedicated sheets for each sail, then I can't think of a single reason to have two separate sheets. Just get one 90' line and use a cow hitch / lark's head to attach at the clew. Easy peasy.

FYI I don't like stay set or stay set X. I prefer Endura braid.

Barry
olson34 likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

We use two sheets eye spliced in each end. We then lash these eyes to the sail with 6mm Dyneema. They never hang upon the stays/shrouds. Each season we turn the sheets end for end and it seems to extend the life of the sheets.
I hope you didn't buy a tape drive laminate sail. This boat had a full set and they are the worst sails, lifespan wise, I've ever owned. Absolutely a horrible idea.
Attached Thumbnails
sheets eye splices sm.jpg  
wymbly1971 likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:27 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
W
I hope you didn't buy a tape drive laminate sail. This boat had a full set and they are the worst sails, lifespan wise, I've ever owned. Absolutely a horrible idea.
We got a set of tape drive sails and won our club championship two years in a row with them. By the end of the third year by we ran out of rip-stop and had to use duct tape to try to hold the jib together in its final upwind leg. Couldn't even use it to rake leaves afterwards - it kept shredding & shedding pieces.
post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I tried a one piece jib sheet and it chafed through at the clew, and then I had two-piece jib sheets. The same thing happened to a friend, so I think it's not uncommon. I use two piece sheets now, with bowline knots on both my race boat and cruiser, and honestly don't see any functional difference.
post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Catalina 28 with just one headsail, a 135 on a furler. Single line, and a lark's head. Simple, not much bulk. Gets pretty snug by the end of the season, but pries apart easily with a couple tools.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in