SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Shroud and stay tension when climbing the mast

936 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·
I loosened my backstay and forestay (actually, I removed the forestay and replaced it with a halyard) before climbing the mast. I didn't loosen the cap shrouds or the inner shrouds.

It occurs to me that this might have been a good idea, and since I have to go up again next week to attach the new forestay, I thought I'd ask.

Should I loosen the shrouds in this situation? Why?

Boat is a Newport 30 mkii

#3 ·
Why are you loosening shrouds? Are you worried that your extra weight will overstress the deck where the mast is mounted?

Don't worry about it. If your shroud lines are adjusted correctly, you mast is already in compression to the tune of several thousand pounds (generally, 1/4" forestay and backstay generally tightened to 1300 lbs each, 1/4" upper shroud tightened to 820 lbs, fore and aft 1/8" shrouds each at 240 lbs). So your weight is a miniscule addition.

Moreover, when sailing in a stiff breeze, the loading increases... by more than your body weight.

#4 ·
Fair enough. My thought was that since I loosened the forestay and backstay (in order to remove and replace the forestay), that the mast will have more forward and backward play. When that occurs, depending on the location of the chain plates, you could end up pulling on the cap shrouds in a way that does not occur under normal conditions. Any time anything happens to a rig that is outside of normal conditions, I ask more questions and take more care :).

I am not worried that my shrouds will break, but that the boat could be stressed in a bad way. From the answers here I don't see any indication of that. I'll probably double check with the rigger when I pick up my new furler and forestay next week.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.