Propane system inspection - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 06-03-2019 Thread Starter

Propane system inspection

Hey gang,

I have a force 10 stove on my Columbia 39, and I am just getting around to thinking about using it, but I don't know the condition of the system (hoses, gauges, shutoff, etc etc)... and all things being equal, I probably need to have the entire system inspected before I start trying to use it.

Could anyone make a recommendation as to where I could look for an inspector that deals with propane systems in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks all!

-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-03-2019

Re: Propane system inspection

A marine-specific guy would be best, especially for overall design issues, best practices safety compliance for boats.

Ask at the yards in your area?

But any propane shop will have certified techs that can look at the fittings, test the bottle(s), teach you to inspect the joins and lines for leaks etc.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-04-2019
Sailor

A spray bottle with soapy water works wonders at finding leaks. Pressurize the system and spray hoses and fittings. Any leaks will blow bubbles. There should be a solenoid that clicks when turned on. This let's the gas through. It should be near the tanks in an airtight locker. If it doesn't work check fuses and replace as necessary. That's all there is to the system.

Tod

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

Here's how I would DIY.

Check the tank locker. It should vent overboard, as propane is heavier than air and will fill the bilge, if it doesn't have a path overboard.

Check the date stamped on the tank. If it's a steel tank, I think it can't be filled after 10 years (your local propane fill station will tell you). Fill the tank or get a new one to fill.

Check the electric solenoid, which should be near the tank. Does it click on and off, when the breaker is activated.

Check all hose connections, by spraying soapy water. Same way you checked for a bicycle tire leak as a kid. Be sure the stove and oven knobs are off, open the tank valve, open the solenoid and spray every connection, from the tank to the stove, to check for bubbles. If you find any, turn the gas off, at the tank, and correct.

Once the above all check out, open up the tank and solenoid and attempt to light the stove. It may take a while, if air needs to be purged out of the lines. I use a BBQ butane lighter, as it's hard to know if the electric spark button on most stoves is working. Ventilate the boat well. Run the gas for a few seconds. If it doesn't light, stop and wait a few more for the gas to ventilate, then repeat. On most propane stoves, you need to turn the knob to a start position, then hold a button or knob down to override the thermocouple safety, to allow the gas to run. This safety will close the burner, when cold, so if the flame goes out, it theoretically keeps the boat from filling with gas. Very theoretical. Keep an eye on all open flames aboard. Once lit, hold this botton or knob for a few more seconds to allow the thermocouple to warm up. Then let go and the burner should stay lit.

Once you have all the burners lit, go over and shut off the solenoid breaker and watch the flame go out to know the solenoid works. Then shut off the burner knobs.

The only thing I suspect a DIY would miss is whether fitting and hoses, etc, were up to proper code.

Go sailing.
SanderO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 06-04-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

Great info by Minnewaska above. It's not very difficult. Only thing I would add is check the hose along its entire length. My current boat is the first I've had with propane. I found a situation where the hose came through a bulkhead and there wasn't proper support and chafe protection. Hose had been rubbing for years on the bulkhead and had a deep groove in it. If I hadn't replaced the hose and fixed the issue, this could have been serious.
SanderO likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 06-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

IMO flex hose should be replaced on a schedule, not waiting for visible issues to appear.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
IMO flex hose should be replaced on a schedule, not waiting for visible issues to appear.
Logical, but what schedule would one follow? I've not seen one published.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

I have no flex hose... all propane plumbing is shields reinforced rubber hose.

Do not leave a cooker which has a flame on unattended!

Might want to get at Xintex S2a gas sensor, alarm and solenoid switch. USE it and don't leave the solenoid open when you are not cooking!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

By flex hose I mean anything with rubber, just not counting black pipe or copper.

Annually would be very conservative.

Every five years would be too long.

Otherwise, up to you
post #10 of 28 Old 06-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
By flex hose I mean anything with rubber, just not counting black pipe or copper.

Annually would be very conservative.

Every five years would be too long.

Otherwise, up to you
I replaced the hose but nothing like the intervals you mention.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in