Keel Rash - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter
1968 Columbia 50

Keel Rash

Since the people on another forum have been of no help, I thought ya'll would be of better help.

Now that the rest of the bottom is finished, all I have left is to fix this fiasco. Please tell me if you think this is right or if you would suggest something else.

What I plan on doing is to grind back on either side of the keel bottom to good glass, which is encapsulated just as an FYI. I then plan on filling the couple of small void‘s which are there with West systems, followed by a half inch total =/- of glass mat. After that I plan on grinding it as fair as I can and then finishing off with thickened west systems epoxy and sanding to get the profile correct.

I do plan on putting down about six coats of Interlux 2000e barrier coat on top of this.

Does this sound about right, or would you suggest something better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Last edited by SV Siren; 06-05-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2019

Re: Keel Rash

Will you be more specific to what we are looking at? To me, it looks like the bottom of your keel, and it only looks like cracked/scuffed gelcoat - maybe from sitting on the keel in a cradle/ground or running aground or something?

If it is only gelcoat, I'd just grind it back to good, fair it, and be done. If this gets regular abuse, consider glassing on a strip of kevlar tape.

Otherwise, your plan sounds fine, if a bit overkill - but that depends on just what is happening in that picture.

Mark
SanderO likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Will you be more specific to what we are looking at? To me, it looks like the bottom of your keel, and it only looks like cracked/scuffed gelcoat - maybe from sitting on the keel in a cradle/ground or running aground or something?

If it is only gelcoat, I'd just grind it back to good, fair it, and be done. If this gets regular abuse, consider glassing on a strip of kevlar tape.

Otherwise, your plan sounds fine, if a bit overkill - but that depends on just what is happening in that picture.

Mark
It is the bottom of the keel, which is encapsulated. This is definitely from hitting something by the PO and runs the full length of the keel(10' or so). Some spots are 1/4" deep and are pin holes through to the keel. There are also slight gouges along the keel which I will just prep and fill/fair.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2019
Above 5 knots

Dock

I'm with colemj, fair and forget.
I personally would use Interlux water tight epoxy filler, then paint and forget, but yeah, that's all.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2019

If the damage is through to the ballast, then a proper repair is important. Especially if the ballast is iron, not lead.
olson34 likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2019 Thread Starter
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
If the damage is through to the ballast, then a proper repair is important. Especially if the ballast is iron, not lead.
Luckily it is lead...with just a few small penetrations about the size of a pencil. Thanks for the input.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2019

water proof filler and paint if you do add glass then use glass cloth cut on the diagonal it lays down around curves better than mat. most mat has binders that are not compatible with epoxy resin so the mat does not give good results. stay away from Kevlar it does not protect any better and if it does get damaged you will have a fuzzy mess on the bottom of the keel that can not be sanded. also think about using Pettit protect as the barrier coat as it only requires two coats to do the same thing as the 6 coats of 2000

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
SV Siren (06-05-2019)
post #8 of 13 Old 06-05-2019

I suggest looking into soda blasting for this kind of work. Hand sanding is somewhat tedious
post #9 of 13 Old 06-06-2019 Thread Starter
1968 Columbia 50

Thanks everyone for the replies..I appreciate it.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2019

Your fix seems was over board... clean it , fill it with west, fair it... do your local barrier coat (not 6) and paint. Bottom of keels rest on stuff when the boat is hauled and block and will get beat up and these areas are hard to service.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in