how tight is your rigging? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-08-2019 Thread Starter

how tight is your rigging?

I recently inspected and tuned my rigging. chain plates and fittings are all good. But the tension was quite loose, some shrouds were ~7% of breaking load and they were slack when they were leeward on all but the light days.

Im not a hardcore racer but I do race a few times a year. I went with 13% all around, the mast is straight, in column, and the rake is right. On a test sail in 15 knts the helm was well balanced, I could point higher, and the shrouds did not go slack. So it all seems good.

But the increase in tension was enough that a cabin door is sticking. So I'm wondering did I simply put in too much tension? or should I leave it as is and plane the door to fit? 13% does not seem extreme, and I know that some racers crank it up to 20% but maybe 10% is more reasonable for my boat?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC

Last edited by bristol299bob; 06-08-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-08-2019

Re: how tight is your rigging?

I thought 10% was standard. Maybe Bob Perry will weigh in on this. I would be curious as to what his comments on the issue would be.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-08-2019

What does the rigging manual for your manufacturer or class specify?

post #4 of 5 Old 06-08-2019

tension by % is only to give you a starting point to tune the rig . when not sailing the tension keeps the rig up and not moving around. the rig should be tuned to how the boat sails. shrouds should be to keep the mast in column and not have the lee side wires flapping in the breeze. forestay is set to the correct length to balance the helm and the backstay is adjusted to get the proper jib luff curve for a given wind velocity. the shrouds only need to as tight as they need to be to sail properly and no more.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2019

What is under the base of the mast?? If it's a block of wood or plain steel it may have rotted and allowed the deck to settle a bit more with higher tension on the wires. Had to get a rigging inspection by a qualified rigger for insurance to cover the mast. The rigger tuned the mast up with more tension than I carried on the stick. Low and behold the head door suddenly won't slide. Took a close look at the step for the mast post and it looks like the block of wood supporting it has evenly rotted allowing the post to sink about 3/4 of an inch. Explained aa few gaps in the main bulkhead that had been puzzling me. Now have to figure out how to get at the step to add back the lost wood.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in