Flattening crimper for oval compression sleeves - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Flattening crimper for oval compression sleeves

I am using copper 1/16" ones as terminations for 16AWG tinned boat cable - yes electrical use case, not for physical rigging.

https://youtu.be/iEflhdrQp3U

I prefer this thread not get into the application itself, just focus on the specific question please.

The usual swaging tool produces a roundish cross-section https://www.iweiss.com/files/content/1/691-1.jpg but what I need is a flattened surface, like a coin.

You know those tourist site machines that flatten a penny?

But does not need to be so thin.

The ferrule starts out about 3mm or 1/8" high https://i.imgur.com/5u9oCI8.jpg
and if the finished "disk with embedded wire end" gets squished down to 1mm thick or less, that would be great.

The critical bit is, I don't want a convex nor concave surface, one side at least should be smooth and as close to **perfectly flat** as possible. Neither the other side's surface, nor the "from above" shape or length/width dimensions are important, can dremel the edges as needed.

I could rig a hydraulic press, or even a primitive flat-head sledge and anvil would work great, but I need a tool that is portable, small as possible, ideally toss into my toolbox.

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks in advance for helping me think outside the box.
Attached Thumbnails
FD710613.jpg  

Last edited by john61ct; 06-10-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Flattening crimper for oval compression sleeves

A machine shop could probably grind a die, if you have a crimper that takes multiple dies. Or if you've got an angle grinder and a crimper that just needs some contouring, you could DIY. Or, you could take a small vise and a piece of pipe to gain torque on the handle, and crimp them flat with that. It is a kludge, but it does ensure "flat". If all else fails, you could always get a piece of 1/4" steel plate and a blunted stone chisel. Put the wire in between the two and take a good whack with a maul, for something that small one shot should do it.
I guess a lot depends on how often you need to make how many of them.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Note that I already have a collection of HD crimpers worth thousands ( thanks Maine Sail!)

but none of the dies are the right shape - plain opposing sides parallel to each other

so if anyone knows of a die that would work, prolly will fit a frameset I already have.

Some are 2-3' long so compression force is plenty, pure copper being so soft.

Ideally get a gas-tight fused mass with the wire strands embedded.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A machine shop could probably grind a die, if you have a crimper that takes multiple dies
Thanks! Hmm, rigging a custom die sounds promising, if I can't find something off the shelf.

> I guess a lot depends on how often you need to make how many of them

Not high volume, but need to be able to make them as needed.

Small size, light weight portability are important, so just adding a die to my existing collection would be ideal!

OTS would be lots better than finding a machine shop though.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
get a piece of 1/4" steel plate and a blunted stone chisel. Put the wire in between the two and take a good whack with a maul, for something that small one shot should do it.
I like the simplicity but noisy, don't want to bother the neighbors or attract attention, first run will take a few hours.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019

I highly doubt you will find an off-the-shelf system. Using a flat die on a round cable will make it hard to get a sufficient, air-tight crimp.

But as stated above, get a spare set of dies for you crimper and grind it to get what you need. A Dremel with a cut-off wheel, small carbide burr, and some jeweller's files should do the trick.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
I highly doubt you will find an off-the-shelf system.
Absolutely, use of the word system seems pretentious when I 'd be happy with a mini-sledge and anvil except for the noise. 8-)

> get a spare set of dies for your crimper and grind it to get what you need. A Dremel with a cut-off wheel, small carbide burr, and some jeweller's files should do the trick

Yes that will give precisely repeatable results, much better than a hammer.

But I haven't found die sets for sale that fit my AMP 600850 Rota crimper cheap enough to destroy, or at a small enough gauge opening.

I also have MS' CMI version of the AMP 55893-1 "double crimp" for heatshrink terminals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPLHY9C/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

but it's too rounded, maybe start with that then do something else to further flatten one side.

But maybe better to just check out the chinese X-ton wannabe's, look for something in a smaller size and non-hydraulic, and jig up a die for that. cheap but another big tool taking up space.

I also have a Rennsteig 624 000 3 frameset, thousands of dies available for that, but again pricey roll of the die (hah!)

> Using a flat die on a round cable will make it hard to get a sufficient, air-tight crimp.

We are talking about fine **stranded** copper at only AWG 16, so it's not round like a solid wire would be.

And it's surrounded by a small and soft copper torus getting compressed from its "sides" - in reality an oval on its side, squished top to bottom.

Say I found a "penny presser" cheap, and the finished "crimp height" was only half a mm, much thicker than a single strand, in this case 30 gauge or a quarter mm. Guaranteed cold-welded, gas-tight junction, right? But way over-compressed - even if even increased resistance / lower conductivity is not an issue (due to increased surface conract area), the junction will be mechanically weakened more than necessary.

So with "just enough" (much lower) compressive force, I reckon at a crimp height somewhere between 1.5 and 2mm in this case, the strands will be well deformed but not too much, each no longer round in cross-section, but squished up next to each other like a honeycomb, just enough for that cold-welded, gas-tight required result.

I'd love to slice the resulting "coin" open to get a cross-section micro-photo, but if not, pull tests will be enough proof.

For those new to crimping:
https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/
https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/
https://youtu.be/bAO9eCS65jw

Last edited by john61ct; 06-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2019

The dies it comes with are pretty much useless so you have plenty of spares to cut on.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydrau...ool-66150.html
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, looking at a few of that type.

But as I said, I don't really want hydraulic, the cheap stuff fails fast and leaks all over, and that level of power is completely unnecessary here.

And although the so-called 8 AWG die looks small enough from the side the pic's taken to be able to grind out, look at the depth of the working area and it's nowhere near the 8-10mm I need.

btw for noobs, on **none** of these cheap units do the die labels have anything to do with reality, and they are always metric, only a few come close to what you need for real AWG, and for lots of AWG sizes there is no good option

Looking at Knipex Plier Wrench XL atm, should come in handy for other things too.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Maybe grind down the "between nest" on this one

https://www.amazon.com/XH2-54mm-XH3-.../dp/B00YGLKBSK

Flattening crimper for oval compression sleeves-picture_20190611_172814011.jpgFlattening crimper for oval compression sleeves-picture_20190611_172631861.jpg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in