Gelcoat cracks/crazing - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Gelcoat cracks/crazing

Hello all,

I could use some help. I have a 72 Venture 17 that is in process of becoming seaworthy 'ish' again. Latest project is to repaint the hull. I've sanded off the existing bottom paint and came across this (see photo). Sooo, the boat is on a cradle in the garage. I'd like to avoid flipping it over if possible. My thought is to epoxy the cracks, prep, primer, paint. Here's the newbie question: do you think thickened epoxy would fill the crazing? If I flip the hull, I'd use 105/205 unthickened that I have on hand. I'm afraid using unthickened material overhead will just make a mess. What do you suggest?

Edit: any thoughts on mixing in 406 or similar and squeeging it into the cracks?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  

Last edited by Vssman; 06-10-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-10-2019

Re: Gelcoat cracks/crazing

Perhaps an epoxy barrier coat would do the same thing with less effort than trying to fill each crack individually. Primer might do the same thing, but might not last as long. The cracks look small enough to really be a hassle to try to fill. Thickened epoxy will make uneven areas that will have to be sanded out - even more work. Coating the whole thing might be the quickest and best solution. If you're planning to paint it anyway, the process is essentially the same. Might be worth flipping the boat over though, even if it's a hassle to do. Boat that size shouldn't cost you more than two six-packs to have neighbors over. Ten minutes for the flip and an hour or two for discussion over the brews.
Vssman likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Perhaps an epoxy barrier coat would do the same thing with less effort than trying to fill each crack individually. Primer might do the same thing, but might not last as long. The cracks look small enough to really be a hassle to try to fill. Thickened epoxy will make uneven areas that will have to be sanded out - even more work. Coating the whole thing might be the quickest and best solution. If you're planning to paint it anyway, the process is essentially the same. Might be worth flipping the boat over though, even if it's a hassle to do. Boat that size shouldn't cost you more than two six-packs to have neighbors over. Ten minutes for the flip and an hour or two for discussion over the brews.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Soooo, do you make your way to Naugatuck at all??

post #4 of 15 Old 06-10-2019

Iím afraid that unless you flip the boat, the resin will not penetrate. Thickened epoxy will not penetrate and be a bear to sand, especially if you donít flip the boat.
Vssman likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 15 Old 06-11-2019

Looks like "only" gelcoat crazing. Barrier coating it is probably fine. I like Pettit Protect as it requires fewer coats.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-11-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

I used the Pettit High Build Barrier coat (2) coats on a hull that looked similar to yours. I lightly sanded in between coats and then added two coats of their marine enamel. This was all for the topsides...not below the water line. Someone suggested that the crazing in the gelcoat would keep returning due to stresses created from different temperatures and general flexing due to normal use. I kept the boat in the water full time, sailed it often and sold it after a few years, but the cracks did not return.
overbored and Vssman like this.

Tartan 31
post #7 of 15 Old 06-11-2019

I prefer using epoxy resin for the first coat, i will stick much better to the gell coat or whatever is left. The following coats can be any epoxy based barrier coat or thickened epoxy. It is best to use the same producers epoxies.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
I used the Pettit High Build Barrier coat (2) coats on a hull that looked similar to yours. I lightly sanded in between coats and then added two coats of their marine enamel. This was all for the topsides...not below the water line. Someone suggested that the crazing in the gelcoat would keep returning due to stresses created from different temperatures and general flexing due to normal use. I kept the boat in the water full time, sailed it often and sold it after a few years, but the cracks did not return.
Pettit protect high build is a very easy to use and great product. sands easy with no clogging of the paper. forget using epoxy resins, no need with this product 2 coats and you are done. sand the surface with 80 grit, wash and apply. sand to desired finish and paint. covers gelcoat grazing and they won't come back for another 47 years
scubadoo and Vssman like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 15 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I am looking at barrier coat. Sea Hawk Tuff Stuff has a nice long recoat window. Either that or Pettit Protect. I already have Pettit bottom paint so it probably would be best to stay with the same product line.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-11-2019

Gelcoat cracks/crazing

Another vote for flipping it, then spraying a coat of high-build primer and long boarding it. I went Awlgrip on mine, but to each his (or her) own...
Vssman likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in